PDA

View Full Version : Double bitch... mommy drive-by and broken computer (not unrelated)

american_mama
09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Yesterday evening, I went to a talk by a local birth /midwife advocacy group, or tried to. I had to bring my girls since DH was working, but based on two experiences with the group and a few of the people in it, I figured there was a better than half chance there will be other children there.

But, we arrived and there were no kids. Maybe 6 people in chairs in a circle, none of whom I know, and the speaker, a local homebirth midwife. It's very informal. I start setting up my laptop and Magic School Bus DVD for the kids in an adjoining room. They're acting up, it's taking a while, I take the girls outside, we come back in, I decline what I thought was a sincere offer to help from the organizer. Ultimately, this person - the organizer? - tells me I am disturbing the speaker. I'm doing the best I can, obviously arrived with some attempt to keep the kids busy, and wasn't even in the same room as the speaker. I say angrily "Do you want me to just leave?" And she says yes!

So I slam my latop shut, tell the kids we aren't welcome here and (loudly say) "Because children aren't welcome at midwife meetings!" And we leave.

I am steamed, especially since I am newly pregnant and was really looking for some specific info. about homebirths even though I just decided last week not to have one. It's a topic I'm interested in. I've met the speaker once or twice before and she seems nice, informal, interesting, approachable and I doubt I was disturbing her with my kids. If I was, then well, I'd hate to see how she deals with siblings at a homebirth. Perhaps kicks them outside for talking?

The icing on the cake? Apparently, I broke my computer when I slammed it. I am using DH's now.

Double doh! Either I got screwed or served right.

gatorsmom
09-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I can't believe the organizer said that to you. How incredibly rude. I think I'd write a letter to the speaker to let her know how terribly disappointed you were for not being able to attend.

It drives me nuts when there is a mom's day out or speaker somewhere on mothering topics but there's no child care provided or children aren't tolerated. What are these people thinking? I also hate getting those helpful brochures or reading magazine articles that say stuff like: "when your baby is a newborn and not sleeping through the night, nap when baby naps during the day." Well, I can't do that with 2 older siblings!!

Jees- think it through, people, think it through.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

C99
09-27-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry you broke your laptop and that the organizer was blatantly rude to you. But, I don't understand your rage -- while you wanted information about homebirthing, you said that you decided not to do it. It's possible that the other 6 people in the room could not hear the speaker and really intend to go for a homebirth.

Also, you didn't say what time the meeting was. I would be surprised to see young kids at a meeting that started at 7 p.m. or later. I went to an elementary school open house last night -- it started at 6 p.m. and DH was out of town. I did bring my nursling, but hired a sitter to watch my older two so that I (and everyone else!) could actually concentrate on the presentation.

SnuggleBuggles
09-27-2007, 08:16 AM
That is just awful all around! I'm sorry you had that experience. I wonder if the speaker actually felt like that or just the coordinator?Bummer all around. :(

Beth

psophia17
09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I would rather stick hot pokers in my eyes than attempt to get my boys to behave in the evening when I wanted to pay attention to something else. My hat's off to you for trying.

FWIW, I always viewed my time doing pg-related stuff for Riley's birth as time off from Nathan...just because it was relaxing for me to sit in a quiet waiting room for however long I could get away with it...and the times I had to bring N, well...let's just say they stank :)

nov04
09-28-2007, 07:32 AM
so not cool of the organizer.