PDA

View Full Version : And My Supervisor Wants To Know Why I Get Only 6 Hours of Sleep!

randomkid
09-26-2007, 11:27 PM
In a recent meeting, the topic of caring for yourself and getting enough sleep was addressed. My supervisor asked "Who gets 6 hours of sleep or less?" I raised my hand along with just a couple of other people. She then asks "Why? You should really make the effort to take care of yourself." Now, she's a Mom and divorced, but she is so super organized it's enviable. My life is great, but timing never seems to go well for me.

So, let's recap today's events and see why I get less than 6 hours of sleep with only one child...

6:15 - wake up, shower, get ready for work
7:25 - get DD up, get her ready for her 2nd week at her new daycare
7:55 - ready to leave, but DD is crying and doesn't want to go
8:10 - drop DD off and head to work
8:55 - get to work - good traffic day. Supposed to work 5.5 hours, have enough work assigned for 6-6.5 hours, but it takes 7.
4:30pm - leave work, but it's raining, so it takes 45 minutes to get to the DCP's home
5:15 - pick up DD
5:30 - leave for home with a very cranky DD as the sitter tells me she didn't nap today. Great! She also didn't go to sleep until after 10:00 last night. She was in bed, just not sleeping.
5:45 -stop at grocery store
6:25 - get home - (DD should be in the tub)- empty car, feed the dog, etc. Let dog out and push him into grass since he is now peeing right outside the door as he is 15yo and too lazy to walk 5 more feet. Hear the door slam, whip around and run to the door to find DD has locked it! I begin to panic since my parents are out of town and DH is at least 45 minutes from home and on his way out of town. Run to front door and beg DD to unlock it, thinking this will be easier to unlock than the back door. She thinks this is funny and is yelling "No! Go away Mommy" Look through front door and see back door is not completely locked, deadbolt just turned a little. Go back to door and shake it with all my might and it opens - Thank you, Lord!
7:00 - make a quick dinner and eat fast
7:30 - DD in tub and acting like a wild woman because she is so tired from no sleep.
8:45 - DD finally in bed. I collapse on couch, watch Kitchen Nightmares and eat ice cream (I feel I deserve it)
Losing track of time - get up and clean kitchen, start lunches for tomorrow. It's getting late - maybe I'll make it to bed by 11:30 - nope, maybe 12:00. One last thing to do and I hear the dog wretching! He's puking on the carpet - two rooms have carpet and the rest of the house is hard flooring. Just HAD to puke on the carpet, huh? Go to see the damage - two piles of undigested food (TMI, I know) and pee - because he's old, and apparently the strain of vomiting made him pee.
Clean up the mess, finish my last bit of getting ready for tomorrow and am so irritated, I come here to vent.
Current time? 12:30am
Time to get up in am? 6:15am! You do the math.

Thanks for the vent, and if you made it this far, I appreciate it.

Good Night

TracyBee
09-27-2007, 09:28 AM
This is my life exactly - right down to the locking doors, late bedtime and puking/peeing dog. Except, I have 2 dogs - one pukes - the other pee's and poops. The puker is not old, just nervous and neurotic (think Chicken Little). The pee'er/pooper is old and doesn't like the grass anymore either. Too funny!

cvanbrunt
09-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Your supervisor is exactly right. You should be taking care of yourself. She'll certainly understand then when you start working only the 5.5 hours you should be..... :) It's so easy to give other people advice.

bubbaray
09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Tell her you don't get more sleep because she asks you inane questions like "why don't you get more sleep?" WTF??? You have kids. None of my coworkers with young kids ask me how much sleep I (don't) get. They KNOW the answer....

I'm so irritated for you. Seriously, I think I would lose my mind if my boss said something so stupid to me. If she persists, tell her you'll file a harassment complaint with HR.

She's not being helpful, she's being ignorant & judgmental. Witch.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

randomkid
09-27-2007, 06:03 PM
OK, in her defense, she is really a great boss and very understanding/flexible with scheduling, days off, last minute changes in work time to accomodate DD, etc. because she is a Mom. I was really venting about the day, not about her.

See, our organization has this thing everyday called "Energizer". It's a brief (required) meeting where they make announcements about the hospital, have little inspirational stories and things like how to balance your life and improve your health. My supervisor tries to make them more interactive by asking for our input. The whole sleep thing was part of an energizer and she was just reiterating what is required of her to read to us.

BTW, she is not the one who assigns the caseload for the day. She does staff scheduling and just about everything else other than daily assignments.

But, thanks for being irritated for me anyway. :-) And, in case you are wondering, today is much better so far and I plan to go to bed by 10:30 - keep your fingers crossed for me!

bubbaray
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Glad to hear she's otherwise a great boss! I'm jealous then!

Hope you get more sleep!!! :)

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007