PDA

View Full Version : stupid fax machine

casey0729
10-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Why is it that when DH goes away on business something stupid always happens? DH went on an overnight trip to NYC on Monday so I am alone with the kids. Not a problem right? Well, I get the little cuties in bed and lo and behold 15 minutes later, the phone rings. It is a fax machine. I hang up. 3 minutes later, phone rings again. It is the fax again. Proceeds to happen another 5 times in the next 30 minutes. Unfortunately I was waiting for a phone call from my Mom so I couldn't just take it off the hook. I would have her call my cell but for some stupid reason, I wasn't getting a signal! Well, by this time, both kiddos are up due to the incessant ringing. I *69 the number (at a lovely cost of $1.75) and then try to look it up online. No luck. This has happened before last year, but it was during the day and I got DH to fax them from work to stop calling the number as we were a residence because when I called Qwest to ask them to give me the company name they said there was nothing I could do but fax the number. Well, this time, it is nighttime, plus DH is gone and I am not getting both kids out of bed to go to Kinko's to fax them. So I took the phone off the hook for a few hours.

Fast forward to bedtime. I check my cell and it is still not getting a signal - and this has never happened to my cell before, but had to happen that night - so I decide that I will hang up the phone because something else would surely happen to me where I would need to get to the phone quickly and it would be off the hook! So, things are fine until 3 am!! Phone rings. Friendly neighborhood fax machine. Both kids and mom up again. Take it off the hook. Take forever to get kids settled down again. Exhausted. Get up at 7 am to nurse baby which of course, wakes up DS for no good reason. Put phone back on because DH supposed to call in the morning. 7:15 am - fax machine! WTF?!?!? Stops happening for about 2 hours and then starts again. I *69 (more $) to make sure it is the same number. It is. I decide to try the operator this time and ask if there is someone I can talk to because I have 2 small kids and I should not have to keep my land line off the hook when I did not invite these calls into my home. She tells me that Qwest has an annoyance call bureau and connects me. Why couldn't the Qwest employees tell me that last year? AND why did I have to wait all night until I figured out to call the operator?

Anyway, I talked to some very nice guy who told me to hang up and *57 to place a trace on the call and then wait a few minutes and then call him back. I do so, he tells me that they have the number in their system now and they will contact the number to stop calling me. That cost me $1.00. So, I spent $5 so this business could get a "memo" from Qwest to leave me alone. AND they won't tell me who they are. I love how this can just keep happening and it is up to me to go out of my way and spend my money to either fax them myself or do this *57 thing yet they have no repercussions. Something is wrong with the system.

My poor DS couldn't do one thing wrong the next day. I was CRABBY due to lack of sleep and total anger. I also had to spend the day trying to find a plumber to fix my valves. Argh! Thank God for chocolate.

KC

DS 5/11/05
DD 7/14/07

jillc
10-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi KC,

Hang in there, Mama.

I had a very similar thing happen a few months ago ~ only thank goodness it stopped before midnight, as mysteriously as it had started. I spent a good chunk of time on the phone with our phone company, too, and they were very nice, but less helpful than Quest was to you. I will have to remember to ask for some type of annoyance call bureau if it happens again. I was livid.

I hope you have a relaxing night tonight & that you all get some sleep! And some chocolate. ;)

Best,
Jill

kijip
10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
That sucks. The same thing is happening to a friend of mine who is 81. Scares the living daylights out of her...it actually auto dials her in the middle of the freaking night!

I hope they get the memo!

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)