PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treating Bitch

katydid1971
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I love Halloween. I love passing out candy and seeing the kids in their costumes. I love jack o' lanterns and decorating our house. I really love it. But I have a little bitch and that is terrible manners. While passing out candy last night a couple things rubbed me the wrong way. One was a couple with a small (about 1 year old) child who were getting all they could trick or treating, they had a huge bag of candy and they were some of the latest out the night (DS was already in bed). We take DS (he's 2 1/2) out to about 6 or so neighbors, all of whom know DS and ask that he comes by to trick or treat. We then go through his candy and take away things that could be harmful (jaw breakers, peanut M&Ms) and let him have the rest over a couple days. He says "trick or treat" and "thank you" at each house. We don't do this to get a big stash of candy for ourselves. A second bitch I had were the number of kids who didn't say thank you, they just took the candy and left. Finally, I tried to get a mix of candy little kids like, Reeses, Kit Kats and Sour Patch Kids (I think they are gross but little kids seem to like them). We had one child say in a very nasty voice, "I don't like any of the candy you have." Well I'm sorry your highness let me run over to the store right now and get you something more to your liking. I still love Halloween, I just wish some people had a little more manners when it comes to trick or treating.
Sarah

StantonHyde
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I had to constantly remind DS (who is 5) to say thank you. He usually has decent manners and knows to do this. I think they get so hyped up with all the the running around and big groups of kids and sugar. It is chaos. I could see a young child (under 5) saying they don't like the candy, but not an older one. Actually, my kids take anything.

My gripe are the teenagers who don't dress up and come at 9:00. We went to another neighborhood to trick or treat with friends so I left a gigantic bowl of candy on the porch. Very little of it was gone at 8:30 when we got back. I could see the teens were out and I didn't want them coming up on the porch and getting the dog barking while I was trying to put DC to bed. So I put the bowl at the bottom of the steps--it was emptied in 30 mins. And I mean, it was big. Oh well, at least it's not around for me to eat!

GlindaGoodWitch
11-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I know what you mean.

Last night we had an older boy (maybe 12 or so) that informed me that I should have the regular sized Snickers and preferably the ice cream ones instead of the (apparently) crappy selection of bite sized reeses, kit kats, butterfingers and whatever else comes in that giant Costco bag.

Not that we knew this kid from Adam.

We also had 2 (again bigger) kids that just shoved their grubby paws in the dish and grabbed a handful of stuff. (I was kneeling for a little girl so she could pick out a few things.)

We don't get all THAT many kids so I like to give them a few things, but MAN some of them were rude last night.

jerigirl
11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Last night at 9:30 two teenage boys rang our doorbell looking for candy (I guess). Our porch light had been off since about 8:30 when we had put DS to bed. By 9 pm our whole street had their porch lights off. DH went to the door and flipped the light on and told them through the door that we were done. I noticed they went across the street (again porch light off) and did the same thing. I could see through my window that my neighbor actually opened her door, although I could not tell whether she gave them anything or not. I don't know what the kids were were thinking...

jeri

sarahsthreads
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Those kids would have made me upset too! According to DH (the official candy-hander-outer) we had all very polite kids, including a few teens out with their 4-ish year old sibling who were not getting any candy for themselves, but one of the big brothers asked very politely if he could take one of the granola bars because he loved them. DH was so impressed with those teenagers he actually told me about them as soon as we came home. And shockingly, since we normally have them every year, no costume-less teenagers showed up and grabbed handfuls of candy without so much as a thank you or anything.

DD was pretty good about saying "thank you" at the houses I brought her to, but did need some prompting. Everyone was gushing so much over her costume and giving her so much extra candy that I was a little embarrassed!

Oh, and I probably wouldn't have thought of it quickly enough, but if I'd had that nasty little girl I would have just said, "well, you don't have to take anything then!" and closed the door. That's just rude!

Sarah :)

s7714
11-01-2007, 10:55 PM
We had one rude one last night, a 7ish year old boy who said "I already have one of those" to my DH when he went to put the candy in his bag. DH responded "Well now you have another one." :P The majority of the kids in my area, both young and old, are pretty good about saying thank you.

My biggest pet peeve is when they knock or ring the bell and the light is off. Especially if the parents are standing there too. I mean isn't that like Halloween 101 for everyone--no light = no candy?

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org