PDA

View Full Version : For the love of flying monkeys

punkrockmama
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Do NOT cut jalapenos when your hands are very dry. Hot pepper juice getting in your little nooks and crannies HURTS.

You're fine the first few seconds, then you start to take the seeds out and the slooow burn begins. Even after you hop around and wash your hands like a mad woman, the trobbing remains.

Yowza!

Upside--The soup was awesome.

masha12
11-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Tell me about it. The worst day of this year was the day I chopped up a jalapeno for the first time.

I didn't know I was suppose to be careful about it and ended up getting the oil all over my hands and they burned..

I ended up calling the nurse line. Running my hands under cold water didn't help, soaking them in vegetable oil didn't help (and was a complete mess). My hands would burn if touched my children's skin. I ended up going to bed in tears at 8 p.m. clutching an ice pack in both hands. I think it took about 6 hours for the pain to go away.

On the upside, that is a mistake you only make once. :)

Fairy
11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Yikes!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I missed the bday thread, sorry!

bubbaray
11-21-2007, 10:04 PM
You could try soaking them in milk. I can't remember what it is, but there is something in milk that counteracts the hot stuff in peppers.

Other than that, you could just have a couple shots of tequila....

Ouch!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

JoyNChrist
11-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Oh yes!

I learned this the hard way on my very first trip to Mexico. It wasn't jalapenos (I think it was actually a hotter pepper...can't remember), but I definitely learned my lesson!

I second the vote for tequila shots...stick with the theme! :P

octmom
11-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Ouch! DH and I were making fresh salsa to bring to a friend's Super Bowl party one year. DH didn't wash his hands well enough after he cut up the hot pepper and then he put in his contact lenses. OMG, it was awful! His eyes were bright red and he was in agony. His eyes watered for what seemed like hours, even though we flushed them well and he threw away the contacts (disposables). Needless to say, we didn't make it to the party. It was really awful, but it has been several years now and we can laugh about how dopey it was.

Glad your soup was tasty! ;)

Jerilyn

dotgirl
11-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure if that's better or worse than a friend of mine - cut up a whole bunch of them, didn't wash his hands .. and went to the bathroom.

He was in agony for a number of hours.

DebbieJ
11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I always wear gloves when I mess with hot peppers.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Ouch!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

elizabethkott
11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Bwahahahahahaha!
I had a friend who did the same thing once, but had been using Tiger Balm for his sore shoulder.
A mistake he never made twice.
D'oh!

tylersmama
11-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Along the same lines...

I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer (or was in a former life) and several years ago, I had a football player stop in the training room to get some Flexall before a game. Next thing I know, said player comes running back in, screaming bloody murder. Seems he intended the Flexall for his tight/sore groin muscle and missed a little. And wanted ME to do something about it. I managed to tell him (without laughing TOO hard)that there was not a chance that I was getting anywhere near that and he would just have to wait the burn out!

punkrockmama
11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Omg masha. Girl I am so sorry you get my pain. Yep, we sure know now, huh? ;)

punkrockmama
11-24-2007, 09:32 AM
H.! *waving* Hi sister, and thanks for birthday wishes. :)

I'm gettin old. I am beginning to see 30. We're not neighbors yet, but it lives down the street and a few blocks away.....LOL

punkrockmama
11-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Jerilyn, how awful. I bet the poor guy felt like his eyeballs were gonna fall out. Awful, but funny. I'm glad you guys can laugh about it now. :)

My freshman year of college I knew this girl that was dating an older guy. He lived in this house with roommates. So she went over one night and he made her dinner (with something containing hot peppers).

They eat, move to the couch. Have some wine (he was totally older and sophistocated,lol). A little more wine. Then they start to discuss politics *cough* *cough* if you know what I mean (and I think you do. ;)) All of a sudden she pushed him off her, jumps up and runs into the bathroom. His HANDS. He didn't wash them well enough and they were BURNING HER. YOU KNOW WHERE. LIKE HELL.

LOL. I will never forget this story or the look on her face when she told me. We were sitting outside before class and I damn near fell off the bench I was sitting on.:o

They broke up not too long after that.

Fairy
11-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh, Honey, I know ... I know ... . 30 wasn't hard for me. 31, however, hard for me in the head. 34 and 35 were great. Pregnant, lost so much weight, thinnest I've ever been.

Ya knnow what helps with the getting older thing? One word: Good skinkcare products. Ok, that's 3 words.

Radosti
11-24-2007, 05:51 PM
OMG... OMG... OMG... OK, I know this isn't funny, but I have tears streaming down my face.