PDA

View Full Version : Bridal shops in Boston?

kirafiddle
07-13-2000, 07:24 PM
I am a bride who is just starting in on the process of finding a dress, and I'm feeling some trepidation based on all I've read! I don't want to spend more than $800, but I also want a dress that's good quality and not made by slave labor. So I have a few questions and would appreciate feedback from other brides:

1) Bridesave.com seems like an amazing web site, and I've used it to find the gown of my dreams - a L'Amour gown for only $415! But I haven't found anywhere in Boston to see this gown in person. Does anyone have experience with bridesave.com? Would it be crazy to order this dress sight unseen? Do they take returns?

2) I'd very much appreciate hearing from other Boston brides about which shops are good and which should be avoided.

3) In particular, I'm intrigued by VOWS bridal outlet, which claims to have NY designer gowns at up to 75% off. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!

sallyw2
07-24-2000, 07:42 PM
My daughter found a Paloma Blanca dress in a local bridal salon here and we were able to order it from Pearl's Place and save $400. Of course , we aren't due to get it until September but I am hoping, based on everything I have read, that it will turn out to be a positive experience. Also, try Discount Bridal Service. They are very helpful and , I believe, quite dependable and will save you money.

dietzpmkkm
08-06-2000, 11:40 AM
Do Not...I repeat, DO NOT, ever go to a store on Newbury Street named "Georgette's!! My daughter had the most horrible experience and we have heard of other horror stories. She was rude, uncooperative, rude, arrogant, rude and had very strange business habits....i.e., receipts in PENCIL!! As it happened, after we picked up the dress - still needing hemming which she REFUSED to do, the dress was stolen!!! Three weeks before the wedding we went to a wonderful store in Saratoga<NY and were able to get a gorgeous dress from pleasant and cooperative salepeople! The experience was a nightmare and no young bride should EVER have to go through this.
We did have a very good experience at Yolanda's in Waltham.

sallyw2
08-11-2000, 03:33 PM
My good friend's daughter got her dress at Yolanda's in Waltham and they loved their experience. Priscilla of Boston dress but reasonably priced.

ksarraga
08-12-2000, 02:45 PM
I just spent several weeks looking in the suburban Boston area - drove everywhere - here's what I found.

I'm buying my dress from Precious Memories in Malden. The people are great, selection is good and well priced - I'm getting a Mon Cheri gown ($779). Lots of bridesmaids options too. They had a decent close-out rack with lower priced items and their gowns were among the best-kept of those I saw - not dirty or torn.

I also liked Allegria in Belmont - go there if you're looking for something that is more A-line with minimal trim. They had one of my top choices, a Galina. Also had some good, clean close-outs.

Occassions in Natick was another place I liked - it came down to a dress there, and the one I chose. I don't think they have their alterationist on site, they have someone who works from her own space. Many of their dresses were over $800.

Bride and Belle in Medford had a large selection, all sorted by designer and you could search on your own so it was a nice place to go to really figure out what I liked. Service varied - try to go on off hours, which is easy because they are open later, and on Sundays. Lots of discontinued for $199-ish too.

There was another place on Lexington Street in Watertown or Waltham that I liked because they also let you search through the gowns yourself - can't remember the name - I think it was Brides Choice - go to dogpile.com and search the yellow pages - that's how I found it. Try surrounding communities if you don't find it under Watertown.

Vows was nice but didn't have much in my style or size. Wasn't that impressed with the prices and questioned them when the alterationist said she could make a size 12 fit my 36DD bustline - most measurements have me in an 18! Go EARLY on Saturday or make an appointment during the week.

New York Lace, in Taunton was an interesting experience. They really fussed over me. I thought the selection would be larger since I saw there name in the magazines so much. Only place I saw $700 veils! The prices for the dresses were in line with other places I looked.

I was disappointed in Manhatten Bridal in Dedham - expected more. They let you look at the discounted gowns, but bring the others from the back and whenever anyone did that I thought they might just be missing the dress of my dreams. Service was fine though, I wouldn't count them out.

I didn't see anything in Saugus that impressed me. I didn't even go into Boston, figured it would be pricier. Yolanda's was ok but didn't have anything I hadn't already seen elsewhere. There's a nice little bridal shop in Arlington, Alena's (?) where I got a bridesmaid dress. The service was good but they didn't have the styles I wanted.

If you need to narrow your search I'd say go to Precious Memories in Malden, Bride and Belle in Medford and Bride's Choice in Watertown. You'll have a chance to see a lot in your price range - if you don't find your dress there try some of the others.

Good Luck!

gmf
08-26-2000, 04:06 PM
I found a really nice little bridal shop in
Belmont, Luna Bridal shop. It is an off
the rack designer bridal gown shop. The dresses
maybe were sample dresses?
(sample sizes?) size 10, some 8s and 12s, a
few 14s... All the dresses I tryed on were
immaculate, in plastic bags, all the tags
still in them, prices marked on tags. (they
advertise as a 25-75% off designer dresses)

The salesperson/owner, Linda, was super nice,
I had made an appointment and was the only
shopper there this morning (Saturday, 10:30)
I thought maybe I read about the shop here
on bridal gown guide, but she said she has
only been open 3 months.

I found one dress I really liked, and will be
returning with mom this week to try it on again.

Good Luck!
/gina

kirafiddle
08-28-2000, 01:28 PM
Wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate your helpful advice, and I've found a dress! I got it at VOWS in Watertown, another off-the-rack designer dress discounter. It's a gorgeous Galena, silk shantung for $800. I have no idea what its original price was or just how much of a discount I got, but I loved a lot of the dresses there and the salespeople were very helpful.

candacea
01-28-2001, 12:42 AM
I don't know if this is the proper place, but...

While everyone was shopping for gowns in the Boston area, anyone find reasonably priced tiaras? I'm not holding my breath for dirt cheap (although that would be nice). Up to $200 is my price range. Should I check out the garment district? I'm new to the area so I don't know where ANYTHING is!!!

Best,
Candace

bostonbridetobe
08-23-2001, 05:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-01 AT 04:25PM (Mountain)[p]Based on a 30-second encounter I had with a woman who answered the door at Georgette's, I'd have to agree. I was out dress shopping with my friend, and we saw the dresses from the street and decided to stop in, not to try anything on, but to get a business card so I could call to schedule an appointment.

Well, the look the woman gave me when she opened the door could have killed a nun. It was like we had totally inconvenienced her by interrupting her day. And the store was completely empty; it's not like we were interrupting a customer! The woman didn't even say hello; just opened the door and stood right in the middle, not inviting us in, not even saying, "Hello" or "Can I help you?" Just giving us the dirtiest look. I asked nicely, "Could I get a business card?" She turned around, stomped over to her desk, stomped back over to us, and thrust the card at me, still not saying a word and giving me the evil eye. I was shocked at how unfriendly she was. Who is going to buy a dress from a woman who doesn't even say hello or smile?

By the way, I didn't even keep the card. I left the card at the bottom of the stairs. Sorry, Georgette (if that was you)! If you want to sell more dresses, better be nicer to us brides!

Affordable Dreams
08-23-2001, 05:31 PM
Don't forget to get a quote from me. YOu will also save on sales tax! Discount Bridal Service is reccommended by the Fields. I also offer 20% discounts on accessories and invitations to the Members of this list!
Best Wishes,
Chrissy
Authorised DBS dealer

Affordable Dreams
08-23-2001, 10:17 PM
I carry these too! Tiras & jewelry, veils, invites & more. If you see something you like but out of your range write the name of the manufacturer, stlye number colors etc. Or email me a picture with the info. I can probably give you a decent deal. Ask me before you spend big money. Congratulations,
Chrissy
Affordable Dreams By Christine
Authorised DBS dealer