PDA

View Full Version : Seattle's Worst Bridal Shops

bianca
10-05-2000, 12:25 PM
Before I read the Fields book Bridal Bargains, I went to 3 of the more popular bridal shops in the Seattle area. Victoria's (who made Melinda Gates wedding dress); Elaine's of Edmonds; and I Do Bridal. I had a "special" request. I wanted a dress in a particular style that I could not find in a bridal magazine. All the bridal shops claimed to custom make gowns. I do know how to sew and understand what is involved in making gowns so I thought that I would probably find something similar in the not formal category. In addition, I did not want any fabric in white.
At I DO bridal I was ignored. A young salesgirl finally did try to assist me. She called out the seamstress who gave me the name of another seamstress. (The advice they gave was okay, it's just that I was ignored.)
I then made an appointment with Elaine's of Edmonds. They tried to push the magazine dresses on me. When I firmly stated what I wanted they said "it will be very hard to get anything like that." They told me to contact the designer personally and that I should go down the street to Victoria's Bridal. I did so and was helped immediately by a woman who said she was the seamstress. She said she could do what I asked. However, it would cost -- get this! $1200.00 flat fee not including her labor of $65.00 an hour. Plus I would have to buy the fabic myself. She said that the cost is high because I would be getting a custom gown. When I said that it was too costly she replied that I may be able to find a seamstress for less but to be careful -- make sure that I get a seamstress from a nice boutique. Hmmm... I did find a seamstress to make my gown for $10.00 an hour. I bought the fabric. The total cost of the dress (CUSTOM MADE) about $350.00. Just thought all you guys in Seattle might find this info useful!

cameroncrazy
10-17-2000, 02:41 PM
1. Creating Memories. They don’t even have the friggin size in the dresses. They do have the material content. They sew their own tags in the dresses. I saw one I liked and figured out who the designer was.
2. Elaines of Edmonds. They practically stay in the dressing room with you while you try the damn things on!
3. Page One Designs in Lynnwood. I was able to get one of the dress designers out of her (by strong arming her!)

Are there ANY bridal salons in the Seattle area that do NOT rip out tags?

Jill

SLucas
11-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Shot in the dark since this is in response to an old post, but it's the only one I've seen here about the Seattle area...
Is the name of the $10/hr seamstress available? I really need to find one, and the only solid references I've found are to Elaine's.
Aside from that, any other recommendations for where to look for gowns in western WA?
Thanks!

cameroncrazy
11-09-2002, 07:17 PM
I got my alterations done in Marysville by Elaine (NOT related to Elaine's in Edmonds) at her shop which is called

The Pickie Needle
13503 51st Ave NE
Marysville, WA 98271 360-659-2968

I paid $150 for alterations and trust me she had to do A LOT of work on my gown (including letting it out at the bust)

>Shot in the dark since this is in response to an old post,
>but it's the only one I've seen here about the Seattle
>area...
>Is the name of the $10/hr seamstress available? I really
>need to find one, and the only solid references I've found
>are to Elaine's.
>Aside from that, any other recommendations for where to look
>for gowns in western WA?
>Thanks!