PDA

View Full Version : FILENE'S BASEMENT

PRINCESS_KIM
10-10-2000, 09:06 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE STORE USUALLY HAVE THEIR BRIDAL SALE? IT APPEARS THAT EVERYTIME I CHECK, I JUST HAPPEN TO MISS THE SALE. ALSO, ARE THERE ANYONE WHO HAD SUCCESS AT THE SALE? OR WAS IT TOO BIG OF A HEADACHE TO GO AGAIN?

areneayers
11-28-2000, 03:59 PM
Kim I hope by now you've gotten a chance to go to the sale it was the weekend of Nov. 18th. Anyway my understanding is that the sale is twice a year in Nov. and in May. You can visit the Filene's Basement web site and it will tell you the next date of the sale.

PRINCESS_KIM
11-29-2000, 12:23 AM
Thanks, but too late! I have been checking their website on a weekly basis and it continually lists "The Bridal Event You've Been Waiting For Is Coming! Our World-Famous Bridal Gown Event Is Wednesday, August 16 At 8am In The Downtown Boston Store Only!! Get Here Early!"

Would it be possible if you let me know the next time the sale comes? I would greatly appreciate it.

octbride
12-11-2000, 08:43 AM
Actually, the last sale was Veteran's Day in November. They hold the sale 4 times a year and I believe they're normally in February/March, May, August and November. The website isn't updated, but if you call the number for the store, their information line is. I think anyone that can make it to this sale SHOULD GO!! It's not as bad as everyone says- it IS a huge crowd, everyone does change right there in the aisles (wear bike shorts and a sports bra or something like that) and the dresses aren't arranged by size so you have to grab as many gowns as you can carry... BUT I actually had fun! My mother and I went in November and I found my dress! Every dress in the place is $199 and some of the gowns even have original tags on them from $600 all the way up to $3000. We got there at 5:30 for the opening of the doors at 8 but you really don't need to do that. Once all the gowns are off the rack, you really just need to hope someone is giving up a dress that they've grabbed and don't want. Take as many people as you can talk into it, and enjoy it- it is certainly an adventure. At the beginning of my bridal gown search, I said I wasn't going to spend more than $800 for a dress that I'll only wear one day in my life; with this sale, I paid much less than the limit I had set and I absolutely love my gown!

octbride
12-11-2000, 08:43 AM
Actually, the last sale was Veteran's Day in November. They hold the sale 4 times a year and I believe they're normally in February/March, May, August and November. The website isn't updated, but if you call the number for the store, their information line is. I think anyone that can make it to this sale SHOULD GO!! It's not as bad as everyone says- it IS a huge crowd, everyone does change right there in the aisles (wear bike shorts and a sports bra or something like that) and the dresses aren't arranged by size so you have to grab as many gowns as you can carry... BUT I actually had fun! My mother and I went in November and I found my dress! Every dress in the place is $199 and some of the gowns even have original tags on them from $600 all the way up to $3000. We got there at 5:30 for the opening of the doors at 8 but you really don't need to do that. Once all the gowns are off the rack, you really just need to hope someone is giving up a dress that they've grabbed and don't want. Take as many people as you can talk into it, and enjoy it- it is certainly an adventure. At the beginning of my bridal gown search, I said I wasn't going to spend more than $800 for a dress that I'll only wear one day in my life; with this sale, I paid much less than the limit I had set and I absolutely love my gown!

PRINCESS_KIM
02-16-2001, 12:25 AM
The next Filene Basement Bridal Sale is on Wednesday February 21st.

PRINCESS_KIM
02-28-2001, 06:03 PM
I sent a delegate to go look for me and they said it was crazy! People changed in the aisles and the smallest size were 8's...too large for me and most are ball gowns. I am looking for no more than size 6 and sheaths. None were there so my delegates were ready to go home but all entrances were blocked by wedding gowns and brides changing!

My delegates told me that it was a funny experience but I am glad I didn't go because I would have felt that it would be a waste of time for me.

octbride
03-01-2001, 12:27 PM
Wow, that's too bad. I did get a sheath in gorgeous silk. It was a size 8 though so that still wouldn't have helped you out. When I went, the selection was huge, but it must just really depend on the time of year or what they have in inventory. Good luck in your gown search!

sunfleur1
05-07-2001, 11:57 AM
I wanted to let anyone in the Boston area to know that Filene' Basement in Downtown Crossing has been letting a small amount of their leftover dresses go for less than $100 dollars. I think there are still some today, May 7, 2001 for that price. If you wait after the sale you may still get lucky and find your dress. As of last week I saw a Pricilla of Boston dress that originally retailed for over $3500 in silk shantung selling for $100. I inspected it pretty carefully, and It looked as if it were in great (maybe not perfect) condition. It was a size 10 though. I also saw several larger dresses. I went to the sale in November 2000 and got a Carmi Couture #6061 for $200! If I had known that they left their dresses out after the SALE I might have waited. I will tell you that there was a mob scene that morning. I went around 4 p.m. and there was hardly anyone there and about 5000 dresses! I wore a bodysuit to work and changed in the aisle...most brides were helpful too, since I went by myself (my MOH's were both away). I experienced none of the catfights I have heard about in the past. I was there for about 2 hours and tried on six dresses; the last one I tried on fit like a dream and three other women told me it was perfect! I don't even have to have it altered! Good luck to all and Congratulations!