PDA

View Full Version : bridal gown alterations

r166
10-16-2000, 02:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on getting alterations. I am going to buy a sample gown off the rack at a bridal salon. It needs a small amount of alterations. Is it cheaper to have the salon do the alterations or to just buy the gown there and take it somewhere else to be altered?
Thanks!
Poppy ROtter

alandenisefields
10-16-2000, 02:37 PM
Poppy: There is no one answer to this. I'd price it BOTH ways (get an estimate from the shop AND take it to an indie seamstress). That way you won't overpay.

Best wishes,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BRIDAL BARGAINS * BRIDALGOWN.COM * CYBERBRIDE *
Email: [email protected]. Web: www.windsorpeak.com. Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

Gina L
01-05-2001, 05:55 PM
I just saw your message now; you've probably already made your choice but I will give you my 2 cents just the same. I would suggest taking the dress to a private seamstress rather than having the store do the alterations. One of my friends bought a sample and had a private seamstress fix it up. This woman was able to give her the personal attention she needed and she did a wonderful job! I've heard too many horror stories from having the store do the alterations. Hope this helps!

jlstodd1
06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Beware of Don Brookie in Rockville, Maryland. Her assistant will give you a low ball estimate to get you in * then the new estimate will be considerably higher. You will be too exhausted to start over again, but you will resent the process along the way. When I tried to address the problem, I was just insulted and told by her assitant that she was suspicious of anyone who would question her. It was a terrible experience.