PDA

View Full Version : Houston bridal shops

Karenbain
04-04-2001, 06:05 PM
After several weeks of frustration, does anyone know some nice, kind, and helpful stores in Houston, Texas? Some having good service and showing a good collection of gowns from reputable lines and companies?

Very frustrated in Houston,

Karen:-(

lisarab
04-07-2001, 11:19 AM
I share your frustration with the Houston shops. What some of us do is drive or fly over to New Orleans and visit Pearl's Place. They have such a huge selection in all price ranges, many very famous gown makes. Good - hey - wonderful prices. If you go there for the jazzfest you will have a great trip and see some gowns also. Good luck to you in the search. Do not try Dallas, they are even more impossible to deal with.

email me for some good ideas.

MEILIN
04-16-2001, 06:43 PM
I livein Houston but ordered from Pearls.

Just a thought.

Mabbster
07-08-2001, 11:31 PM
I have 2 friends who bought their dresses at Ventura's on the loop by the Heights and were happy with their experience.

I bought my gown at Brides by Debbie...they were OK. I knew how to work them to get the price I wanted.

I looked at Millie's...a wedding consignment shop in the Memorial/Town and Country area. Millie was great and very helpful, unfortunately I was looking for a specific dress. You might give her shop a try though.Especially if you have a certain shape in mind and are not looking for a specific designer. You can get a great deal there too!

Mabbster

blissful wishes
07-18-2001, 01:26 PM
Hi Karen, I have a bridal store in Bryan, TX. It's not to far from Houston. If you still need any help just let me know.

Heather

phuong_01
07-20-2001, 01:56 PM
I have a friend who had an AWFUL experience at the same store, but she had no idea how to negotiate with them.

What are your tips for working with them? I may need to buy my bridal dress from this store and would like to know how to negotiate with these people.

Thanks,
Phuong

Mabbster
07-23-2001, 06:42 PM
Ok, first thing you need to do is find a price on the dress you want. Get a quote from DBS or Pearl's. DBS and Pearl's STILL make a profit on their dresses ot they would be out of business.

Plan on making 2 trips to Debbie's. On the first visit, have the manager or assistant mgr. wait on you. ( they have the authority to change their prices). Find the dress you want, try it on and oohh and ahhh. Tell them it's a bit out of your price range. Take off the dress sadly, saying you need to look elsewhere for something in your price range.

Come back the next day or so with your Mom or Dad or fiance'. ( I brought my fiance' as I did not mind him seeing the dress before the big day.) Try on the dress. Tell him/her how much you love the dress. Then bring up price. Ask for a few minutes alone to discuss the price. This store is notorious for eavesdropping! They will position themselves to over hear your conversation. Tell your partner in crime how much you love the dress. Your partner should be ready to say ' Yes, but the dress at David's/Brides Mart whatever looks good on you and is in your budget. Go back and forth. The two of you should decide that if you can get the dress you have on for X( the price you were quoted from DBS) you will get it, if not you will get the other dress at the other store. Call the sales person back in and see if they can do any better on the price. She'll make a phone call and hopefully come back with the price you would pay from Pearl's or DBS.

Sneaky? Yes, but so is the bridal industry. This worked 2 times at Debbie's and a friend used the same tactic at another store in Dallas. The three of us all got our dresses for the same price or $15.oo more than Pearl's quoted us. You do need to be ready to walk though, so if you must have that dress and can't get it anywhere else you may have to pay what they ask.

Mabbster