PDA

View Full Version : Great Bridal Buy in NJ

Muppet
08-17-2001, 12:35 PM
If you are in Central New Jersey, check out the Lord & Taylor OUTLET on Route 22 in Watchung (right next to Sears) The entire back wall of this store is lined with special occasion gowns-including a number of ivory and white Jessica & Scott McClintock bridal gowns- in prices that range from $3 to $100--yes you read correctly, if its a special sale day you can get as much as %90 off the lowest ticketed price. Some gowns are in pristine condition, others need a cleaning or some mending due to numerous try-ons.
And the options for Bridesmaids are endless! They have formal gowns in all sizes, styles, and colors.
THe only catch is, you have to take what they have in-stock at the time. BUT, if you don't see anything you like on the first visit, at least sign up on the mailing list. You'll get coupons and advance notice of sales. THe customer service, like in a TJ Maxx or Marshalls, is almost non-existent, but frankly after an exhausting day of pushy bridal salon harpies, I was definitely in the mood to be left alone. ONE WARNING: Be very careful about inspecting the gown to see if there are any problems that can't be fixed by a good cleaning or mending. They will put anything on the racks-one silk dress I looked at had the bottom hem torn, from the hem about 7 inches up, and it was in shreds..and so many pulls in the skirt that it was irreparable. there are no returns. But, hey for about the cost of a dinner out, you can at least pick up a POSSIBLE "dream dress".

marisa724
10-01-2001, 06:11 PM
I just wanted to bump this up to the top, because I went to the Lord and Taylor outlet this weekend and bought a lovely ivory informal gown, floor-length with a sort of chiffon-y "train", for only $23. I am not getting married for almost 2 years, but I figured I'd snatch it up; even if I decide I don't like it closer to the time, I'm hardly out any money.

As she said, forget about customer service, and leave your coat in the car, 'cause you just have to kind of dive into the racks to pull out the hidden treasures. The gown I bought is dirty around the hem, something that dry cleaning will probably fix -- and I may need to take it up anyway (I'm short!).

I was looking for a dress to wear to a friend's wedding and I came home with 3 dresses and a gown (couldn't decide!) for under $100. Definitely stop in -- it's even worth braving the traffic on route 22!

marisa