PDA

View Full Version : House of Hilton in Toledo, OH - TAG RIPPERS

kelspots
10-01-2001, 01:31 PM
I went to House of Hilton in Toledo, Ohio to look for a wedding dress because I'd gotten a prom dress there when I was in high school. I tried on a few dresses and found one that I was kind of interested in. After changing back into my clothes, I looked in the dress to see the designer, and there were no tags. I asked one of the saleswomen if she had a catalog by that designer so I could see if there was anything else that I liked by them. She actually told me that designers don't send out catalogs of their dresses! I knew this was an out and out lie, because I'd just come from a store that encouraged me to look through the new fall catalogs. I didn't say anything to them then, but a week or so later I was thinking about the dress again. I live 3 hours from the store, so I called and told them there was a dress in my file and I wanted to find a picture of it online. They told me their owner codes all their dresses when they come in and they don't have any of the specific info on each dress. I asked them if they knew that was illegal, and that not having tags in the dresses was illegal, and they told me that most manufacturers send their dresses without tags! Why in the world would they want to do that?? They're not a member of the BBB so I filed a complaint online with the FTC, which is looking into it.

alandenisefields
10-01-2001, 04:34 PM
Hi there. Well, there are some thoughts:

1. Yes, some designers do NOT have catalogs, but they are in the minority. You are right----other shops actually encourage their brides to flip through style catalogs.

2. When it comes to tags, that is NOT true. Federal law requires ALL apparel manufacturers to have tags in their garments that indicate the manufacturuer (or retailer) name, country of origin, fiber content and care instructions. Nearly ALL bridal degners comly with these laws; then, why don't you see tags? That's because the shops RIP them out, to keep you from shopping around.

Hope that helps,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BRIDAL BARGAINS * BRIDALGOWN.COM * CYBERBRIDE *