PDA

View Full Version : Pearl's Place Not Exactly What It's Cracked Up To Be

artschoolgirl
03-05-2002, 07:26 PM
I ordered a dress from them based on the high recommendations featured on this site, so I feel others out there should be forewarned. While I would say in their defense that the staff is pleasant, the dress they sent me far from perfect, their ordering procedure was misleading and I am not a happy Pearl's Place bride.

My mother placed the order over the phone and they told her they would "charge half of the gown to place the order," but neglected to mention it was half of the retail price. The receipt they sent to her was illegible as it was the yellow carbon copy so when her credit card statement arrived she was upset to see a much larger amount had been charged. While this could have been a misunderstanding, I feel they should omit the usage of the word "half" in their ordering verbiage and be more clear that the charges are based on "retail" and not what you are paying.

After only 4 weeks of placing the order, a message was left on my parent's answering machine that the dress was being shipped out and would arrive in 7 days. This was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting the dress to arrive in April. Unfortunately I received the dress 8 days later and it was not what I was expecting. It was crammed into a small box and seriously wrinkled (I antcipated some wrinkling but it looked dreadful). I really think they should throw in a hanger and a bag when a $1400 dress. Beyond the wrinkles, the gown has construction flaws in the darting which may have only been apparent if tried on. But, the slip sown under the dress is actually longer than the outside of of the dress and there is a black mark on the back which I feel should have been caught.

I called Pearl's Place and spoke with someone who recommended I overnight the dress back to them so that they could return it to the manufacturer who in turn will make the determination what to do. I have a problem with this "solution" as they have been paid in full and if I send the dress back I have no dress and am out some serious cash. In addition, why should I have to pay the return shipping? The woman I spoke with was pleasant but defensive.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate my experience as a 3. If I had it to do all over again, I would not buy a dress from Pearl's Place or over the internet. "You get what you pay for" really rings true here which is sad when your wedding dress should be perfect.

Von
03-27-2002, 02:55 AM
SOrry to hear about your bad experience. Would have to say though that it's not fair to know the other internet discounters as there are a lot of good ones out there. After doing all my research www.bridesave.com came out on top for me! A lot of people have praised them and highly recommend them! For anyone interested you should checkout the cyberbride section.

lisarab
04-03-2002, 07:08 PM
I have only the very best things to say about Pearl's Place. Sure designers do make mistakes. What Pearl's will do is correct it. I also know that if you had a problem that could only be noticed when you try it on they could not have noticed it. They do try to correct any problem and I am sure that yours was corrected. As to deposits, in my experience they were the only place that did not expect payment in full, every other site wanted payment in full.

scc
04-14-2002, 01:33 AM
I had a bad experience with Pearl's Place too. I asked for a quote on a gown and later misplaced the quote. When I called to confirm the price I remembered, the sales person quoted the same dress at $600 more than the original quote and didn't seem to care that I was quoted a different price before. I e-mailed Fred Schulman and told him about it but he never responded, which was strange since he responds to e-mail quickly. I don't feel very confident about ordering through them.

hillrc
12-12-2003, 11:46 AM
I had a fantastic experience with Pearl's Place. Yes, they did charge me half of retail (actually slightly discounted retail) when I placed my order, but then I only had to pay the balance when the dress came and as money is tighter now with all the wedding plans, it's actually a relief.

My dress appears to have been shipped right to me from the designer (I don't know if Pearl's Place took it out of it's package). This is totally fine with me since the more hands that touch it, the more likely it is to get messed up.

I will need to have it pressed before the wedding, but it looks great and I think for saving 50%, it shouldn't be too big a deal to get it pressed somewhere.

On a scale of 1-10, I had a 9.5 or so. I would definitely recommend Pearl's Place to anyone who doesn't feel they need the "frills" of purchasing from a bridal shop. To me, the frills aren't worth paying twice as much as I did.