PDA

View Full Version : A Dayton, Ohio bridal shop reveals why they rip tags!

xylogal99
07-25-2002, 04:44 PM
I stopped into a local shop this past weekend to see the kinds of dresses they have for sale. While I am aware of the tag ripping schemes readers of this board have described, I never expected the store to outright admit it to me! I asked the salesperson if she could simply supply the names of the designers that they carry so once I see designs in the magazines I know where I can go to try them on. She said that information was proprietary. The she ACTUALLY told me that they rip the designer tags out and replace them with store tags that have secret codes on them. I asked her how I would know if the dress was actually a designer dress, then. She looked shocked and amazed that I suggested this and said that "if you like the dress, then you like the dress and are willing to buy it, right?" She then told me that the other shops in the area force them to do this because the competition is outright nasty! She said one other shop managed to close this store's account with a designer because the the store I visited was at was selling dresses that the other shop had exclusive rights to sell. The girl also told me not to worry because they could get in any designer I wanted, so long as I provided a picture from a catalog. All this funny business led me to believe that the shop engages in transhipping as well as the illegal tag ripping.
The shop is ATHENA's BRIDAL in Centerville, Ohio.