PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Rochester NY area?

toaster
09-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Hello,

I just got engaged a couple of weeks ago and haven't yet done any gown shopping. My mom is visiting me next month, so I thought it would be easiest to start somewhere with a very large selection and made an appointment for us at David's Bridal in Henrietta, NY. Does anyone have experience with this store and/or postive feedback about David's (I've already read enough negative!) that they'd like to share? I'd appreciate any other advice/suggetions as well.

Thanks,
Beth

If possible, respond via email to [email protected]

Dyonia
09-12-2002, 11:35 PM
Hi!

Its great to see another Rochester area bride on here! David's Bridal in Henrietta definitely does have the largest selection in the area, but I wasn't too impressed with the service when I went in (only went once). I think it pretty much depends on who is working there that day.

Bridal Hall Inc, at 2544 Ridgeway Avenue (585-225-3500) has a lot of designer gowns, including Maggie Sottero. I wasn't impressed with their prices, though. I ended up getting my Maggie Sottero gown through DBS and saving a hefty chunk of change on it that way.

If you need a seamstress, stay far away from any of the stores/salons. I know a terriffic seamstress who works out of her home and is VERY reasonable! All the alterations for my gown (letting out side seams, and shortening the hem -- in 10 days!) only cost me $65! After you pick your gown, just let me know if you want her contact information and I'll email it to you. Oh, by the way she can also custom-make a gown, if you want to go that route. My friend who referred me to her actually had her gown custom-made.

Have lots of gown-shopping!
Cheers, Donna

toaster
09-13-2002, 06:56 AM
Hi Donna,

Thanks for the info! I think that Bridal Hall might be where all three of my future SILs got their gowns, so I'll definitely check them out if DB doesn't pan out. I also know someone in the area who is getting married next month who is having her dress made by a seamstress--maybe the same one you used!--so I figure I've got that covered if needed. Let me know if you have any other suggestions/advice for the area--where was your wedding?

Beth

Dyonia
09-13-2002, 11:20 AM
My wedding was in Maryland. I was a student going to school here at the time I was engaged, and we have since settled here. Planning a wedding long-distance is definitely a chore! Everything turned out really well, though :-)

marriedinrochester
07-23-2003, 12:13 PM
I am too another Bride from the Rochester area. My experience at David's was not horrible at all. The consultant was pleasant, attetntive and listened to what I wanted. The gown I did like, in fact was one she brought to me "just for sizing".I did feel like a princess. However, in my shopping I have found that the fabric is cheap and the gown is made cheaply. I am using a DBS dealer ibn Rochester and she is GREAT, the website is rdweddings.com She is able to get my dream gown considerably cheaper then at any retail store

marriedinrochester
07-23-2003, 01:16 PM
how was experience with DBS? I am using them too (unless I get a really bad story), I assume you went through Lisa from Royal Dalton Wedings.
Emily

marriedinrochester
07-24-2003, 11:44 AM
My screen name is a misnomer, actually. I am getting married in Rochester October 9th 2004. I am gettin married at my chirch and my reception is going to be the Senator's Mansion in Churchville. I havenothing but a wonderful experience thus far in my planning. The corrdinator at the manison is gfret and the catering company associated with the mansion is so flexible. I am even bringing in my own vendors for my cake ( From Cheesy Eddies')I can do almost anything for appitizers and almost any entrees for my sit down, but their buffet selection is very elaborate.
I am still ont he hunt for a florist, DJ and Photographer and anyone who does Calligraphy in the Rochester area. Who did your friend use as her seamstress?

Good luck with Bridal Hall I was a bit disappointed with them. There alterations were very expernsive I thougth and b/c I was interested in a "sample" dress they were going to charge for TWO pressing and cleaning plus for a garment bag.
You can email me privately at [email protected] if yuo wish
Emily

vtbonita
07-24-2003, 12:51 PM
There is a great veil maker in the Rochester area as well. Her name is Sharon Robertson. I found her via eBay, and she is based in Rochester.

marriedinrochester
07-24-2003, 01:08 PM
can you eamil her info? I found an Erica Koesler veil that owuld look great with my gown, but it is pricey. Maybe she can do someting similar. Also any ideas where to store a gown until the big day? I am ordering it now, but I am not getting married unitl ovtober 2004, a little early I know, but my goan is a MonCheri that is a few season s old and I'm afraid that they will discontinue.
Emily
[email protected]