PDA

View Full Version : I have a question concerning the House of Brides chain of Stores

AmberMayJune21
03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is my first time posting on these message boards and I think I'm posting this question in the right place but please forgive me if I'm not. I became engaged about three weeks ago now, and even though the wedding is not for another 15 months, I'm already shopping for my wedding dress. And I think I found it, at the House of Brides, and I found it by using thier website. I have not been to any of their stores in person, but I understand it's a chain of stores in Illinos, at least this website's stores are. I have seen House of Brides stores in other states, but I'm not sure if they are in the same chain or not. For fun, I did a Google search on them and I turned over some startling results. Many people have complaints against them similar to complaints made at Davids when going to their stores in person, including horrible and rude service, poorly made and dirty dresses, wrong sizes, no delivery or late, ect. The net is really littered with complaints about them, but I noticed a pattern. Most of the people who had complaints visited the stores in person and ordered from there, while others who ordered online had no complaints at all, in general. People who had complaints who ordered online were generally taken care of right away. So to add to the muddy waters, I did a BBB search on them and found that all of their stores but one had significant number of complaints filed with the BBB. One store even closed and was not in good standing with the BBB, this was the House of Brides-Norridge, in Hardwood Heights IL. The other five stores still open are in good standing with the BBB, but one store has 49 complaints filed against them, another store has 44.
So, I'm in absolute love with this dress, but now I'm concerned about ordering it. So my question, (finally, I tend to rant sometimes) is what do you all think about this? Am I overreacting? This just seems odd to me..the House of Brides stipulates no refunds or exchanges whatsoever, and the dress must be paid in full up front. I'm not sure if this is tipical or not but something seems fishy to me. Any imput would be appreciated.

Sincerley,
Amber

salsa12345
10-13-2006, 11:03 AM
I think you may be right.... I had a WONDERFUL experience with them online... see my post below that I did yesterday. But I live in NYC and never went into their store. I saved A TON of money... and my gown is wonderful and came WAY TOO FAST. In NYC at least I had bad experience with a lot of bridal shops. I was about to buy a $3500 gown from Timeless Bridal, but I thought more and more about the way they try to SELL pushy pushy pushy and it made me change my mind and look elsewhere. Then I found this dress and it was perfect! Good luck. My advice- order it online.

#1218, "RE: House of Brides online?"
In response to In response to 0

This is just my experience. I bought by dress from houseofbrides.com on Sunday, September 17, 2006 around 10 pm. I received my dress in the mail YESTERDAY, October 11, 2006. I was absolutely FRIGHTENED from all the bad reviews. But my dress from Mon Cheri - normally goes for over $800 bucks. At a discount store in NYC, RK Bridal, I found it for $620 - but they said alterations would be like $350 and they treated me like crap. I found it on house of brides.com for $520! That included shipping and tax! I looked online at MANY other places and this was by far the cheapest. My wedding isn't until July of 2007 so I thought, what the heck, I will risk it because I have all this EXTRA time. Now I have a dress 9 months BEFORE the wedding. I had heard on different boards, such as ripoff.com that 1. they give you a sample dress, 2. the dress comes late, 3. they make the dress themselves, 4. they give you the wrong dress and all sorts of other stuff. My dress IS NEW and had all the tags on it from the manufactor. I fully inspected the dress. I checked the underarm area and it had never been worn. At a minimum I have saved $151.15 from the DISCOUNT place. Since I picked a brand name know for good quality, Mon Cheri, the material is beautiful. It is the right size and in Ivory just like I ordered it. It has gorgeous beading and swarkoski crystals and a long train. I am WAY too excited as you can tell. My only wish is that I would have waited to order the dress because now I have to store it carefully! The reason I am doing this post is because I was sooo scared to order from HOB. I called them at least five times making sure everything was ok - yes you have to wait 30 minutes to get through. I was told the dress would arrive late December and yesterday it was at my door. HOB online has been my BEST wedding experience so far. (Booking the ceremony location being the worst.) My opinion - I HIGHLY recommend HOB online. I have not been to the store.... so no opinion there.

careh
11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I went to their store in Chicago a few weeks ago. I was also nervous after reading poor reviews. The store was clean, and everyone there was really nice and helpful. I haven't bought a dress yet, so I'm not sure how they are with that whole process.