PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean a used dress

phamlinh
08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I found the perfect Maggie Sottero dress on Craigslist at 10% of the normal price. The only issue is that it was worn previously and has not been cleaned. There's quite a bit of dirt on the hem, but I'm not that concerned because I will have to hem it at least 4" anyway. But there is also some dirt on the train and back of dress from where it was bustled.

Here's the question. I am moving from the Bay Area to North Carolina in 6 months. Do I wait until I get to North Carolina to get it cleaned when I get it altered (since it will be much cheaper there)? Or should I worry about the stains setting and get it cleaned in California?

I read the section in Bridal Bargains and am sorely tempted by the machine washing option. Has anyone else done this? Was it successful? My dress is very simple with only a bit of beading at the top of the bodice and two strips down the train (MS style Olympia).

Any advice, warnings, encouragement, etc would be most appreciated. I don't want to have to pay for multiple cleanings, risk cleaning it only to find that it's yellowed a year from now, etc. Unfortunately, I'm on a pretty tight budget (student), so even though I got a great deal, I really don't want to ruin this dress.

Thanks in advance!

alisabuddha
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't know anything about cleaning, but... just a warning since you said you weren't worried about the stained hem: if the hem is intricate and an integral part of the dress, most seamstresses will find a way to keep it. They will either bring the whole skirt up at the seam that attachs to the bodice of the dress or sometimes cut the hem off, remove some of the less elaborate fabric above it and then reattach it. More than likely, you will still have that same dirty hem. Hopefully someone else can speak to a good cleaning process so you can save your hem and your wallet!