PDA

View Full Version : Dress bought off of e-Bay

Daisey1
10-29-2001, 08:18 AM
I bought a beautiful dress off of e-Bay. The dess was originally $725. I bought it for $52.50 My only problem is that the dress has slightly yellowed and needs so cleaning. Does anyone know of how I should go about this?

Kelly

Dyonia
10-29-2001, 11:58 PM
Go back to the Fields web page and read the last two pages of Step Seven: The finishing touches. There are some good suggestions there for cleaning a gown.

Barring trying some of those on your own, try your local dry cleaner -- but before handing it over, show them the dress and ask them what they think they can do, and how they'll reimburse you if they damage the dress.

I'm sure you've seen those commercials on TV for stuff like OxyClean or Didi 7 (sp?) -- that comes to mind for getting rid of the yellowing. But who knows what that might do to the fabric?

If its relatively plain (not encrusted with beads) you'll probably be able to wash it yourself in Woolite or a similar soap on the gentle cycle.

Whats your dress look like?

Good luck!
--Donna

gophergirl28
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Has anyone tried just washing a dress themselves with Woolite, etc. as suggested in the book? How did it work for you? My dress was a sample and has a small patch of dirt (as thought someone stepped on it with a shoe) on the train, and otherwise probably could be a bit cleaner since many people must have tried it on. It is polyester (organza over satin) and the design is very simple, only a small strip of beading at the top of the bodice. Any hints or tips or just encouragement to go for it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

phamlinh
08-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi there. I'm in a similar situation and I'm curious if you tried washing the dress. Did it work for you? Thanks in advance....