PDA

View Full Version : E-bay stories

straightsmile4U
03-02-2002, 10:13 PM
I am curious to know if any of you have had any experience with buying a gown on e-bay. Thanks for your advice!

surfkitty
03-14-2002, 03:12 AM
Hi,

I just received my beautiful dress through a seller on ebay. The description was perfect and the dress was nicer than the photos. There are some minor alterations needed, but it arrived in perfect condition! I got a terrific deal and can now spend the money I saved on other wedding things. I've heard horror-stories and maybe I was lucky, but I have to reccommend trying ebay. The seller is showers123 and they've gotten a lot of good reviews. Good luck and congratulations!

straightsmile4U
04-08-2002, 05:33 PM
I did it! I bought my dress from E-bay! I got a $1200 designer dress (plus awesome veil and crinoline) for only $305.
Be patient, and go for it if you see what you want!
Good luck all!

mayfaire
04-13-2002, 11:50 PM
i also found my gown on e-bay which was my only hope of finding a badgley mischka gown at a price i could afford. it was new & from a sample sale - the final price was 60% below the price listed on the tag when it arrived (in perfect condition and the gown looked even better in person).

stylebug was the dealer and i definitely recommend checking out their website if you're searching for designers like badgley mischka, escada, armani, etc:

[www.stylebug.com]

they were very pleasant to work with and answered all my questions promptly :)

shotrock
04-26-2002, 01:18 AM
I bought a dress the other day for $149- an new Alfred Angelo Spring 2002 dress quoted at $400. I haven't received it yet but will next week. It looks lovely. I'll update my message when I get it.

cincig rn
09-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Hi! First dose anyone have expiernce with buying a veil from e-bay?

I just posted this under "on-line dress maker". I got a St Pucchi knock off for $349 size 16, silk satin two tones, and the dress is ***fantastic***! Here's my origianl post:

Hello! Don't laugh but I actually bought my dress on ebay from Blushing Bride. (I'm a second time around bride marrying a first timer -- so we want an elegant wedding within reason but the dresses I found that I liked were $$$$$$). I paid for it on Sunday and recieved it on Thursday! They emailed me when the dress would ship and they are a member of square trade. Additionaly they accept payments through paypal. This dress was a "sample" it was on a maniquin for a bridal show, but it came absolutely pristine, not one flaw. It's a beautiful silk satin gown extremely well made (I had an Eve of Milady gown the first time around and paid considerably more -- even though it was a sample-- and this dress is definitely better made). I found the dress of my dreams and my fiance LOVES it too! AND THE BEST PART -- I DIDN'T HAVE TO SET FOOT IN ONE OF THOSE BRIDAL SHOPS. Also for the brides who can't wear a size 10 wedding dress (self included) I've seen dresses in their e-bay store in size 24. Yes, they are located in Singapore, but the majority of bridal gowns are manufactured in Asia.

Hopes This Helps!
Cindy

holdem
09-21-2002, 11:00 AM
I just have had the worst luck with EBay. First of all you bid and then if you are not the low bidder you get some email from a person who says "I have the same thing and send me a check and I can get it for you for the price you lost the bid for." Send a certified check even. Well some friends have been scammed on this. As to this Singapore store, there are threads everywhere that people have not received their gowns for over 8-12 months after they paid for them. I would never order from there.

Helena
01-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Whew! I just received my eBay dress. FYI - I'm no eBay expert so it was a little scary. It was a stressful week or so waiting for that package, but I am thoroughly impressed. I could not imagine throwing hundreds of dollars at the already inflated bridal industry, so I checked out eBay and found a woman interested in resource conservation who wanted to sell her gorgeous gown. I got the gown for $550 (original price $1950) and it's 100% silk and beautiful. I'll have alteration fees because it's too large, but I feel great that I've got beautiful dress at a great price.

Good luck, eBaying and marrying!

lorihmatthews
02-18-2003, 03:30 PM
eBay is the GREATEST resource for finding a designer dress. I bought my dress from a private seller, not a store. The seller had listed her veil and dress under 2 separate auctions. I bought the veil first, a Fenaroli purchased from Neiman Marcus, for $34 (it retailed for $315). After I received it, I realized that since it was in such impeccable condition, the dress would probably be the same.

[I bid on this seller's dress, a gorgeous off-white silk Vera Wang gown with a chapel train. I didn't win (the reserve was not met) but I contacted the seller and we worked out a price independent of eBay. I know I was taking a risk but I put the dress on my credit card just in case the seller turned out to be dishonest. Thank goodness she wasn't. I now have my beautiful $4,000 designer dress that only cost me $720! It's in perfect condition and will only need minor alterations.]

[eBay is definitely worth it if you know how to work it and as always, use your credit card just in case you run into a bad situation.]

lorihmatthews
02-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Oops, my whole message didn't get posted. To continue, I bought the seller's $4,000 Vera Wang gown too, and thankfully it was in excellent condition. I only paid $720 for it and it will need minimal alterations. One word to the wise: if you're going to purchase something like this on eBay, make sure that you're covered: put it on your credit card, so if you don't get the merchandise, you can call your credit card company and they can help you in getting credited for it.

vtbonita
02-22-2003, 05:52 PM
I've been looking at dresses and headpieces on eBay, and, while there are some good deal, there are also some sneaky sellers. I was searching eBay the other day, and I noticed at least one Oleg Cassini (a/k/a David's Bridal "designer" dress) dress that the seller described as an exclusive designer label and had a "Buy It Now" price of $850 for a made in China, 100% polyester gown. The seller also posted a long blurb about Oleg Cassini's desinger experience. There are also lots of "never been worn" gowns available that are posted with catalog photos, but, when you get into the fine print, they're described as sample gowns needing some repair work and a cleaning.

I guess the bottom line is read the description closely and ask the seller lots of questions.

Gregs_Girl
05-29-2003, 05:27 PM
I had an amazing experience buying my dress on E-bay! I just recently bought my "dream gown" and saved a bundle! I wanted a Maggie Sottero gown above anything else, and found out that it would take up to 28 weeks to ship. I was devistated because my wedding in in Oct. This is why I checked out E-bay. I got a brand new, tags still on, Maggie Sottero gown from her haute couture collection for $355! The dress retails for over $900! It came with a matching purse, stole, and optional cap sleeves! I recieved it quickly and in perfect condition. It only needs to be steamed. I highly recommend E-Bay. You just need to make sure you check out the seller carfully and ask the seller any questions you have before you bid. The seller of my gown was great, for she had a return policy. This is very uncommon in the bridal business. She bought out a failed bridal botique from a bank and has just begun selling the gowns recently. I would check out her auctions. I think she has over 100 or so left to sell. If you want more information e-mail me. Good Luck!!

shotrock
08-25-2003, 11:14 PM
It is beautiful and in perfect condition. I truly rec. trying to get your deals on ebay. Just make sure you ask all the right questions and are happy with the communication. Here is an attachment of my dress pic... pictures don't do it justice. It's style 1570 of Alfred Angelo Spring 2002.

marcywench
08-25-2003, 11:14 PM
I consider myself lucky. I tried on my dress at David's Bridal three days after getting engaged. I wasn't going to buy it right then, but rather sleep on it. I went home and, on a whim, checked on ebay. There it was, in the size I needed. It was being sold by one of the bridesmaids from a wedding that didn't happen (they kicked in to buy the dress as a gift for the bride.) The seller had never sold anything on ebay before, but I emailed her and our subsequent exchange was excellent. I talked with her on the phone, and I felt I could trust her. I won the auction, getting a $600 dress for $400...new, with tags attached. It was perfect. With alterations, still came in waaaay under retail.

HOWEVER, don't EVER buy a bridal cape from any one at "Bridal-outerwear.com" or anyone attached w/her site. I won an auction from her...she had acceptable feedback. I don't know if she had some sort of tragedy, or what, but after excellent communication, she disappeared off of the face of the earth.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

YMMV,
Marcy 03-08-03