PDA

View Full Version : Gowns on eBay -- good or bad?

brooklyntbone
11-25-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm amazed at the good deals I've been seeing on dresses on eBay, but I'm a little wary of making such an important (and expensive) purchase through an online auction. Please tell me your experiences, good or bad, with the eBay gown. Any advice on online ordering would be great too. I'm just starting to think about what I want, and I haven't even tried on a single frock. Thanks!

Marissa
12-20-2003, 06:48 PM
I bought my dress on eBay, total leap of faith! It cost $100 (retail was around $900), was in perfect condition, and the seller couldn't have been nicer. I loved it when I tried it on, but got last minute jitters and tried on other, much more expensive dresses closer to my date. Then I'd try on the eBay dress and reassure myself. It was exactly what I wanted, and it was perfect for our wedding.

It came from a bridal store in Orlando, Florida, and was altered to fit a woman who never picked it up. (I chose to believe that she eloped to Las Vegas, rather than that she called off the wedding!) A terrific experience, and I recommend eBay to EVERYONE looking for a wedding dress. Good luck!

~Marissa

azpoohbear
01-01-2004, 06:44 PM
I originally bought a brand-new, never worn before gown on ebay, but ended up buying another. With shipping and handling, I paid less than $100. But it wasn't exactly what I wanted. The only problem with online purchases for gowns is that they always look great on the model. The dress is beautiful, but not exactly what I wanted. I would suggest going to different bridal shops to try on dresses to get a good idea of what you want and then try to find something similar on ebay.

Glinda
01-30-2004, 03:39 PM
I bought two dresses on Ebay. The first was an amazing bargain ($600 Victoria's ball gown for $59), but we changed our plans and decided to have a much less formal wedding. No problem. I got a $600 Bonny Bridal for just under $100. Both dresses were brand new, never worn or altered. The first dress was a sample, but I don't think the second dress was--it was immaculate! Both sellers were really wonderful.

My only advice is to know your BRIDAL measurements for bust, waist and hip. 99 percent of the dresses on Ebay will have these measurements available in the posting info. It's important because bridal sizes bear little relation to real-world clothing sizes.

I love, love, love my dress and can't wait to wear it!

FWIW, I also got a gorgeous, brand new pair of Dyeables brand ivory silk bridal shoes on Ebay--never worn, stickers still attached--for $1.25, plus $3.50 shipping. Ebay rocks. Oh--and my custom-made veil was $10 including shipping.