PDA

View Full Version : "By the Hour" bar service

mlm1281
01-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I am currently looking for all-inclusive reception locations. Several of the ones that I have looked at have the option to pay by the hour for bartender service. They charge a flat fee based on how many hours the reception is going to be for each person over 21. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this setup, and advice on whether it is cheaper and easier overall to go with this method or the pay-by-the-glass option. Thanks!

OhioBride
07-21-2004, 09:13 AM
I think it depends on whether your guests are big drinkers or not. My reception place is charging $22.00 per guest for 4 hours of open bar with beer, wine and liquor. That is compared to $5.75 (plus tax and service charge) for a glass of wine or most cocktails. So I figure that any guest that has 3-4 drinks over the course of the reception has actually saved me money with the flat fee option. Plus I know that a lot of my guests are coming from out of town and are big drinkers/will be really celebrating, etc.

My other concern with the per glass option was the accuracy of the bartenders' tallies. What is to stop them from adding a few drinks to the tab here and there? And the service charge and tax per drink was pricey too.

cath_b
07-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Ohiobride is right, it depends on how much your guests drink. If you pay per person, you'll risk having to pay for people who does not even drink. We did the "by the glass" route but only for the first 3-hours of the reception. 1 hour during cocktail hour and then 2 hours during reception. We only had a $1300 but at least we didn't end up with some ridiculous bill and those who drank were able to drink what they wanted to drink within the 3 hours. So everyone is satisfied.

JanineM
03-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Either way you want to have an idea of what kind of drinkers your crowd is before you sign anything. If you have a big nondrinking crowed then pay by the glass is the way to go, but if they are heavy drinkers then a price per head is better. I personally like an option I saw at the first wedding I went to and it was an open soda bar with drink tickets for the adults. If one didn't want them then they could give them to someone else or not use them and you not be charged for them. When they were out and guests wanted another drink it was a cash bar for them. It just seemed like a good way to budget to me.