PDA

View Full Version : MORE, MUCH MORE Info on Double Strollers

strollerqueen
09-08-2001, 04:42 AM
So many people have 2 babies within 3 years and always wonder what to do.Most of the twins and tandems at the mass-market stores really suck--bulky,heavy, hard to push, etc. And really poor quality. I did buy the Gozo after reading about it in BB 4th edition. It is very cute,maneuverable and great fun to push, BUT, very expensive--about $550 w/tax and shipping. And since it's not sold hardly anywhere, you can't find a discount.It also doesn't fold, at all, and the seats are pretty cramped.

Maybe you could explore some other brands that are less known in this country, like the All-terrain Mountain Buggy. It is quite popular in New Zealand, Europe, and Australia. I like mine because it is very narrow for a SBS--28 inches, yet holds up to 170 pounds. It's extremely well-made and SAFE, with a strong rear brake, AND, it folds down by pushing two side levers, just like a regular stroller.It has a full recline--the seat turns into little bassinettes, it's great for the beach, and jogging, too.And it's only around $400. They also have a new U.S. distributor.

Another cool one that a friend of mine has is the Kiwi Double Explorer. It's also a NZ product, but it's a tandem instead of a SBS. The second seat can be put on or taken off as needed. And it has a swivel front wheel, and great colors. It's around $500, depending on the exchange rate. No U.S. distributor though.

Other options include strollers w/toddler seats that snap on and off- the Emmaljunga Husky w/toddler seat, the Zooper Double-up, and the Skippy and Joey.

Some people also attach Kiddyboards, Buggyboards, or the Seat-2-GO on the rear axles of their strollers, for the older child to stand and ride on.

Anyway, it's taken me a heck of a lot of research to find all these, I hope you can make it easier for someone else!

alandenisefields
09-10-2001, 03:37 PM
Great suggestion----we agree, there is much more we could do on this. Good news: we plan to add a large section on this very topic in our new Toddler Bargains book, due out next year. It might be the best place, as most parents run into this dilemma when they have an older child and a newborn.

Yep, those NZ strollers are certainly worth a look!

Thanks,
alan & denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

akc
03-11-2002, 05:41 PM
Just wanted to second the motion on the double stroller info. I am only expecting my first but helped my neigbor struggle with her stroller dilemma (I think it is particularly hard if you have a younger, but older first child - their son is only 18 mos so he's not even out of his crib yet!) She really struggled with finding strollers that took one infant seat and then had room for one toddler (especially if you don't want a giganto travel system type!) There just didn't seem to be enough info (or, I dare say, products that fit her needs!)

Thanks!
akc