PDA

View Full Version : What about books?

trumansmom
04-22-2002, 04:49 PM
What about a section on helpful books? I spent a fortune on pregnancy books, breastfeeding books, nutrition books and general "first year" baby books. Many of the books were really helpful, but some of them were a big waste of money. I would have loved to have some sort of guide to what was out there.

By the way, I've loaned out all of my pregnancy books, but I always give a new copy of BBB to all of my pregnant friends. I can't imagine letting anyone borrow it! I use it all the time!

alandenisefields
04-23-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards.

You mean there are other books out there besides ours? ;) Just kidding. Seriously, we used to have a section in the book that reviewed other books, but we needed the space and had to cut it. We think Amazon.com's reader reviews are pretty good benchmarks for finding good books. And if you have specific favorites, maybe we can start a new category on the boards for reader reviews.

best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, Baby Bargains

egoldber
04-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Personally, I made a rather large investment in books (pregnancy and baby's first year type books) and would have appreciated some help wading through the lot of them. One thing I have noticed about books is that certain "styles" appeal to some people and not others. For example, there are people who like the "What to Expect" books and some find them too negative. There are people who like the Girlfriend Guides and some are horrified by them. Others love the Dr. Sears books and others find them too homey. So rather than reviewing individual books, perhaps you could spend a few (couple?) pages discussing the styles of the various book series and what books might appeal to what type of person. I know I bought a couple books based on the Amazon reviews that ended up not being my cup of tea. Also, of course, include in those "series" the ones about health and development for baby's first year, not just pregnancy books.

My $.02,