PDA

View Full Version : Book reviews

mellivesay
07-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Denise & Alan,
I would love to see an area on your message board to review parenting books. When my infant was learning to sleep, I purchased everything from BabyWise (very structured) to Sear's book on sleep (attachment parenting). Needless to say, I was confused!!! It took 4 books before I found one that met my parenting style. Many times these authors do not state their general philosophies and you do not realize it until you are half way through the book.
Now I am tring to find a book for feeding my little one. Again, the first book I purchased suggests homemade desserts starting at 6 months, and then the next book was very "earthy." Both methods are fine I am sure, but each seem to be an extreme. It would be nice to have a forum for parents to help each other out!! What do you think? Thanks again!!! You and your members are so helpful.

alandenisefields
07-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Good idea! We'll try to add that ASAP.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

twins r fun
07-01-2002, 06:35 PM
That IS a great idea!

Nicole

dogmom
09-02-2002, 10:13 AM
I logged onto this forum just to suggest that you include some book suggestions. If you do for your next book please look at "The Children's Hospital Guide to Your Child's Health & Development." I used to give the Boston Childrens Hospital "Child Health Encyclopedia" to all my friends at baby showers, now I give this. I'm pregnant with my first so I don't have parent experience yet, but I'm a nurse, and I've always been generally appalled at the poor quality of children's health books out there. Every time I've given one of these books, within 6 months the parents thank me because it saved them a phone call to the pediatrition or just let them sleep easier.

megsmom
09-02-2002, 07:26 PM
A great book on infant feeding (in my humble opinion) is "Feeding Your Child With Love and Good Sense" by Ellyn Satter. It has been a great resource to me and several of my friends. It's not so much what to feed your child, but HOW to feed him/her. She is big fan of adapting your food to allow your child to eat it vs. specially preparing meals for your baby. This I think helps expose them to the natural tastes and textures of food at the appropriate times and teaches them to eat what you eat. It is also a nice refreshing way of looking at your own diet since we generally want to feed our babies the healthiest stuff we can! My dd is one now and doesn't know to be a picky eater, loves her veggies and fruits and even ate Indian and Afgan food with a smile on her face the other night! It also helps you to understand infant eating behavior (when they are full, introduction to eating meals with the family, how eating changes when they get to be toddlers and finger feeders, etc.) I really recommend this book. I didn't even bother to read other books about infant feeding since this one made sense to me.

Jen
Mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

mellivesay
09-02-2002, 08:36 PM
THANKS!!!