PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Board Improvement Re: Search Option

DDowning
09-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Alan & Denise. Can I suggest that something be done to improve the Search option available on these boards? When I currently search a topic, I have to rerun the search again and again after I select a post. Here's what I mean. For example, I remember at one point someone talking about a good price on Baby Einstein Videos sometime back. I entered the keywords Baby AND Einstein. I got a lot of hits. As I scrolled through the posts, I clicked on one post and decided that it didn't offer me a lot of insight and tried to hit return on my browser to go back to my searched list results to see if other posts gave more informatin. When I did so, I got an error message and I had to redo the search. After doing this a couple of times, I gave up. Can something be done to avoid having to do this each time?

Thanks in advance!

alandenisefields
09-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Well, good point. That is a flaw in the search engine.

Here is a suggested solution: when you get the search results, do NOT click on the posts you want to see. Instead, drag the link to a new/bank window off to the side. That way, you can pull up each response, while leaving the search results window intact. (We are on a Mac, but i think in windows you can hit a mouse button combo to achieve the same effect---opening a link a NEW window instead of in the parent/same window.)

Let us know how it goes,
--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE

zen_bliss
09-17-2003, 11:34 PM
i have also had a different problem with searches.

first, my personal recommendation is that search default to the 'advanced search' options. isn't that how it was before? because there is so much info here, i find i always have to prune it using the advanced search. true it's just one more window, but every time gets irritating. or am i just missing a way to set this as a default? maybe add in the option to do it by date as well?

the second quibble i have is that the engine turns itself off after 2 searches and says there are zero results that meet the criteria when i know it just is NOT true that nothing matches 'stroller AND bag' :). in order to search again, i have to toggle to basic search, then back to advanced. then it works fine for 2 more searches, then i get the 'zero' results and have to toggle again. it is MADDENING because if i am looking for a particular post from months ago i only vaguely remember, it may take me more than a few tries at the search parameters to find it.

August Mom
09-18-2003, 07:54 AM
I agree that it would be helpful to default to the advanced search page. I also have to do advanced searches almost every time.

alandenisefields
09-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks for those thoughts. I will look into making the advanced the default option, but not sure I can switch that. I'll check. Not sure why it times out after 2 searches---that sounds like a bug. We'll check with our tech folks.

--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE