PDA

View Full Version : Editing

ckate1
09-12-2003, 09:37 PM
I love your book and it has been a life saver to this first time mom, but don't you think you could proof read it a little better before sending it to the printer? I have taken to correcting it as I read it, I guess once a teacher always a teacher. It seems to be mostly typos, things that appear correct to a computerized spell-check, but when a person is reading it, don't make sense. Here's an example: On page 346 of the latest edition you write "...where many vehicles has no LATCH anchors..." See, the word vehicles is plural and so 'has' should be 'have' for proper subject-verb agreement. Further down the page you write "Most of these cars have a lap/should belt in the center position..." Obviously you meant to write 'lap/shoulder belt'. Like I already stated, these are things that look correct to a computer spell-check, but in real life are incorrect. Maybe we still need humans for some jobs.

Sorry, but I was raised by a grammar fanatic and suffered through dinner table conversations over things such as the proper pronuciation of the word 'short-lived'. Let me know if you need an editor for future editions!

-ckate1

Kayla
09-13-2003, 10:36 PM
I thought that finding/correcting the typos/errors was part of the fun of the book! Actually, I agree with you, the Fields could use a more careful editor.

alandenisefields
09-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Yes, we could always do a better job editing the book before sending it off to the printer. We do appreciate those comments---and we will try to do better next time out. Not that it is an excuse, but we often rush to the printer to get the very latest info out as soon as possible . . . and sometimes the editing is a trade-off. We usually come along and fix typos when we reprint the book.

But we can always do a better job! Thanks again,
--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE