PDA

View Full Version : Buntings and other questions

lobsangdibbler
10-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Baby is due soon. Several readings of BB's leaves me wondering:

1. Why does the maternity section come midway through the book. Seems like this happens FIRST.

2. It is often mentioned (and in BB) that a bunting or other thick piece of outerwear is not safe in the car seat. But then you mention the Patagonia bunting and how the leg zips allow it to be used in the car seat. What gives? Can the baby wear this in the car seat or not. Similarly the Snuzzler is advertised for use in car seats, yet there are multiple warnings around not to use it in a car seat.

3. I do a lot of woodworking (furniture). Looking at baby furniture, the Mother Hubbard stuff is the real thing - real, quality furniture with real quality build. Actually the Ragazzi is very well made too, but rather expensive. On the other hand, the Rumble Tuff that gets praised is both more expensive than discussed and so-so in build quality - the "french dovetail" drawers are pretty badly put together. Could easily pull out after several years of hard use. Mother Hubbard was built the way I would build furniture.

Thanks in advance.

babymama
10-07-2003, 11:52 AM
I agree that the maternity clothes section should come earlier in the BB book. It was one of the first topics of interest to me in my pregnacy.

Thanks,
Lydia
baby due 11/20/03

alandenisefields
10-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi folks. To answer those questions:

1. Good point. I think we put the nursery stuff up front since that is the big $$ part of getting ready for baby. Just a judgment call we make on what is on the mind of new parents.

2. Yes, we should clarify that. Basically, a THIN fleece coat is fine, but a thick snowsuit bunting in a car seat is a no-no. Now, what is the EXACT millimeter thickness that is OK and what is NOT, we don't know. We'll have to check. We should make that more clear.

As for the Snuzzler, the maker thinks it is OK for car seats. And it is rather thin. But some car seat safety advocates don't want to see ANY item like this, afraid it will compromise the safety of the seat in a crash. So, it is a split opinon.

3. Thanks for those comments on the furniture makers. We agree---Mother Hubbard and Ragazzi are much higher quality.

Thanks again for the comments,
--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE
Web: www.windsorpeak.com.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

--
The readers speak! Check out our new message boards for our books at:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php

--
We have a brand new book for parents! It's called Baby 411---think of it as the ultimate FAQ for new moms and dads! Check it out here: http://www.Baby411.com

lobsangdibbler
10-09-2003, 10:32 PM
So to summarize perhaps:

1. Best is no bunting - use a cover instead.

2. If you use a bunting in a car seat, it should be unpadded polar fleece. Even the Patagonia is not that thick. Padded snow suits, buntings, jackets, etc. shouldn't be used.

3. Use your own best judgment. That is, if the outwear seems to compress significantly, it is probably not safe.

Thanks!