PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tables

babyjenson2004
11-03-2003, 02:15 PM
I'm almost finished reading Baby Bargain's 5th Edition and have found it to be very helpful and practical. The only part that disappointed me was the lack of reviews on Changing Tables. Yes, I know, the Field's see them as unnecessary when you can purchase a combo dresser/changer, but I already have a large chest of drawers for the baby's room (it was my husband's as a child), but it won't work for changing the baby - too tall. For this reason, we are planning on purchasing a changing table. DH and I have friends that reorganized the closet in their son's room to accomodate as much stuff as possible, then skipped the dresser and went for a changing table instead, and it worked well for them and their space limitations.

I would still recommend this book to anyone expecting, especially with a first time child (in fact, I recommended it to a co-worker just this morning who's daughter is expecting her first), but I think it would be nice to have some acknowledgement that for some people, a changing table is a necessity and something they will be buying. I'm not suggesting an exhaustive review - but the mention of better quality brands and basic things to look for in the item's construction would be helpful.

Thanks to Alan and Denise for their work on these books - it is very much appreciated.

KC

emmiem
11-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I agree. I am still using my changing table and my dd is 2.75 years old. I still change her on it and store the things that I need that she won't bother with. I bought the Pottery Barn classic changing table. Sturdy, and nice looking but not over priced. The ones I saw at the discount baby stores were cheap and rickety looking. The ones at the exclusive baby store-too expensive.
Emmie

jennifer13
11-04-2003, 12:45 PM
I completely agree! I just gave a friend my own personal BBB adendum, which includes: you spend so much time at the changing table, and you use it for at least 2 years, so you should find a set up that works for you and your space/storage needs, is comfortable and safe. For many people, that is a traditional changing table. For me, dressers were often too low and hurt my back.

Still love the BBB!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

alandenisefields
11-05-2003, 04:53 PM
I think that is valid---we could at least give a recommendation or two for specific options that are affordable, yet sturdy. Sometimes, we dismiss an item as uncessary, but we forget that some really need it because the alternatives aren't workable. So this is helfpul and we'll make that change!

Alan & Denise
authors