PDA

View Full Version : Petite Maternity Clothes

tamipayne
01-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Being only 5'1 trying to find maternity pants that fit was HELL! Especially since I work so I had to buy dress pants and pay $8 for each alteration. Even some skirts and dresses are way too long. It would be nice if you could include stores that sell petite sizes. Motherhood Maternity has some jeans in petite sizes, although they can still run a bit long depending on the style you buy. Sears also has a small selection of pants in petite sizes.

mik8
01-12-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm the same size and height as yours so I can definitely relate.
It was soooo frustrating to search for petite maternity clothes - I looked everywhere (Motherhood M., JC Penney., Sears, Target, etc...) Only place I could really fit without alterations (yes, I did have to alter quite a few) are: Mimi Maternity and Japanese Weekend. They're pricey but I bought the ones on sale. They're sold on ebay too but I didn't have much luck with sizing at the time when I needed them.
For the life of me, I couldn't understand why they don't make enough petite sizes. As if we, petite women, do not get pregnant at all!

wilelm
01-25-2004, 12:46 PM
I had the same problem. I'm not quite as petite as you (I'm 5'3"), but I had to have just about every pair of pants I bought altered, as well as a long skirt I bought.

The crazy thing is, the average American woman is only 5'4", but you would think, judging by the stores, the average was 5'8"!!!!

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03

Edited to add: But the thing is, altering only helps in the length, the inseam still falls to your knees!

nitaghei
01-27-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm 5'2" - and I agree that it's ridiculous that petite sizes are so hard to find. And it's pretty much impossible to get a decent alteration in suit-jackets.

It was too late for me - but I found that both Kohl's and JC Penney's actually have petite maternity pants, including some styles that looked like they would work for business-casual. I never shop for clothes at these stores - and it never occurred to me to look there. Also - Gap maternity pants sometimes come in an ankle length - and the rise isn't as high as some of the others out there. I LIVED in the 2 pairs of pants I got from the Gap, and a silk pair from A Pea in the Pod.

HTH

Nita

mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

amp
01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I also had trouble with this. Unfortunately, I had two problems. First, I am 5', so I couldn't find petite pants. Then, when I did, they assumed that a short person can't also be overweight and wouldn't possibly need an extra large size or a size 18! Geez! I did find pants that fit (with some major searching and frustration, and I probably got the only pairs of pants in my size that the store even carried) at Kohl's, Old Navy, Gap and Land's End. All of them carry either petite (in certain styles only) or "short" or "ankle length" which worked ok. Good luck!

deborah_r
01-28-2004, 01:35 PM
To the original poster - I got a great pair of petite jeans from Kohl's online. I am just shy of 5' 4''. here is the link (look in the size menu to see the petite sizes) - these jeans were so comfortable!

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla3.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=1941 751&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=17917779&bmUID=1075310459948

I know htey are no good for work or anything dressy, but they got me through the weekends!

himom
02-14-2004, 07:34 AM
I'm 5'1" too, and I solved the problem by wearing capris. They fit perfectly as regular-length pants, and no one was the wiser. :)

I got mine at oldnavy.com.

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

hellosmiletoday
03-03-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm 5'1, and also found that reasonably priced clothes (i.e. Motherhood) are too big/long, and Mimi maternity or A pea in the pod were just too expensive for "temporary" clothes.

I solved the problem by ordering lots of things from OldNavy.com to get free shipping and returning what didn't fit at the store (to get an instant credit). The prices are great (quality is so-so, but sufficient for temp wear) and it beats trying on clothes in a fitting room while pregnant! I'm actually a regular length (XS) at both Old Navy and Gap -- the ankle is too short on me believe it or not. You should try ordering both Reg and Ankle, helping you qualify for free shipping. I havent had much luck with Gap.com as their clothes tend to be more expensive and dont fit me as well anyway.

As for dresses, I have not found one that fits -- they are all huge everywhere on me, so I have settled for dressy black pants and a sweater.

Saartje
03-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Just want to chime in with the opposite problem. It would be nice to know if there are sources of tall-length maternity pants out there. You'd think, from the sizes in most maternity clothes, that no woman who wears petite, tall, or women's sizes ever got pregnant!

I'm 5'10". I find the pants I bought at Target, though acceptable at first, have shrunk to the point that I'm embarrassed to wear them (they still fit around, but the length has become distinctly high-water). I also bought several pairs of slacks at Motherhood; those started out just the right length. I've noticed they're creeping up lengthwise, as well (something about the weave that makes them shrink vertically and not horizontally, perhaps?), but not as badly as the Target slacks did. I think they'll last through my remaining weeks.

One other sizing issue: I'm having trouble finding maternity/nursing bras that fit. I wear a 38C under normal circumstances, and have so far grown to a 40F. I am loathe to buy bras online, because the style matters so much to the fit of a bra; but I've only been able to find one style locally to try on, and it offered no more support than I can get by tucking the hem of my shirt under my breasts. Most stores don't carry sizes in that range at all. Advice in the book on where to look for "atypical" sizes in all sorts of maternity clothes would be much appreciated.

Momof3Labs
03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Try finding a local lactation consultant - they carry the extended sizes in many nursing bras, and will fit you. But don't buy too many bras before baby comes along - I bought two, and they were too big in the band by about 6 weeks post-partum.

newmommah2004
03-27-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm barely 5'1" and the only place I could find pants without having to alter them were OLD NAVY!! My whole maternity wardrobe was practically all Old Navy, I love them plus if you go often enough, the prices drop very quickly so you can get a price adjustment. And they give you free shipping and returns for maternity shopping.

Gotta get the Short or Ankle length pants of course. Don't know what I would have done without them.

proggoddess
04-29-2004, 05:08 PM
I am 5'1" and I had the same problem. Motherhood Maternity was where I bought most of my stuff. I did buy some knit pants at Target, but I am sewing-savvy enough to hand stitch the hem up. Had to take the pants up 4 inches!

I did not know that Old Navy had maternity clothes! Wish I had, back then. Would have saved me some time!

tinkerbell1217
05-15-2004, 07:31 AM
I have had excellent luck with Gap and Mimi. I am only 5'2" and a little heavy pre PG also, so it isn't easy finding size 14, sometimes 16 in maternity. I am often between sizes. MHood runs small as far as I am concerned, but even though Babystyle runs small with some things, I did find them to be good too and the quality is pretty good. My favorite remains Gap!

Kelly

matthewsmom
05-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Being only 5' tall and very small framed it was also very hard for me to find pants that would fit well on me. I ended up wearing a lot of capris from Motherhood Maternity. They fit quite well and was very comfortable. I also ordered a lot of clothes online from the Gap. The great thing is that they give you free shipping if you spend over certain amount and then you can always return items that don't fit at the store. I didn't know about Old Navy. I recently just saw that they carry maternity clothes at the stores now. It's great!

Carolyn

Mom to Matthew 7/19/03