PDA

View Full Version : Urban strollers

twinkie
01-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Denise & Alan, I've been reading your stroller recommendations and I have to say you have it backwards. You mention that weight is a serious consideration when buying a stroller if you are a mall-crawler, but not so important for an urbanite. However most people I know in the city live in walk-up apartments and regularly ride the subway. That means an urbanite is often found holding her baby in 1 arm, while folding up and lugging the stroller, diaper bag, and whatever purchases she made at the grocery store, pharmacy, etc in the other arm as she climbs 2 or 3 flights of stairs. On the other hand, all the mall crawler has to do is lift the stroller out of the trunk of her car for 2 seconds and open it while her baby is still safely strapped into the car seat. In my opinion if the stroller is heavy or if it takes 2 hands to open it shouldn't be such a big deal. I just don't get where you are coming from!

emilyf
01-27-2004, 06:00 PM
I see your point but in defense of Denise and Alan, I think I see what they are saying. Lots of city dwellers live in rowhouses/brownstones or high rises w/elevators and walk everywhere. I live in an urban area, and never have to lift my stroller so I don't care that it's heavy. It's more important to me that it be sturdy-able to handle rough sidewalks-and have storage space for groceries. I would never want this to be my main stroller if I had to put it in and out of the car all the time!
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02