PDA

View Full Version : product reviews forum

stillplayswithbarbies
03-17-2004, 05:08 PM
does it make sense to have a forum just for product reviews? Each thread would be for one product and people could reply with their reviews of it.

It might be a moderator's nightmare to keep it organized though.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
03-18-2004, 02:47 AM
This is JMHO, BUT, I think this would be overkill. I think that product reviews should go in the appropriate/existing forum. I think a separate forum would fragment the existing structure and intent of the boards.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
maybe a product reviews thread pinned at the top of each forum?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hellosmiletoday
03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
I think that a single organized place for product reviews would be great...bookmarked at the top of each forum. I do not think it would take away the value from the forums.

As a new user of this forum, I've found it difficult to get information on a specific brand/model, and the search function takes a long time with my super-slow connection. It might also minimize the repeat questions often asked on the forum.

If along with each user review, there was a rating system (say, 1-5) for several aspects of product (i.e. ease of use, durability, etc), then over time, an average score could be obtained. Based on the high traffic of this site, you could get some good statistics in a few months. It would help me so much with my stoller debate!

Product reviews would be a great supplement to the BB book. I have not seen a nice comprehensive user review site elsewhere on the web. Amazon and Babycenter only have reviews on their own products, so its not that helpful.

vikivoly
03-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree with Mary. I think it would be harder to find information about specific products ..."hmmm, was that in the product review forum or the around the house forum?"

Pinning the review would work, but it could get out of hand. I think it would be a neat idea to do a weekly product review that we could all comment on. For example the moderators or someone could start and pin a topic on reviewing the Leapstart Learning Table. Leave it pinned for a week so everyone who wished could comment and read it, then the following week start a review of a different product.

mharling
03-19-2004, 10:54 PM
I like that idea a lot!!!!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

papal
03-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I think this would be a FANTASTIC idea. And when it is unpinned perhaps it can go in an Archive forum? That way it would be easy to search through the reviews. Or would that be overkill?

stillplayswithbarbies
03-20-2004, 08:30 PM
that would be great

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

redhookmom
03-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I think that this is a great idea! Imagine thinking about perhaps a Kettler or a Kate Spade Diaper Bag and being able to instantly find 100 reviews!! There is so much knowledge on this board and sometimes it is hard to find the answer to a seemingly simple question.

alandenisefields
04-23-2004, 08:22 PM
We are hoping to add a "product review" section to our web site shortly. (Think of Amazon's reviews, etc). It would separate out the product reviews from the boards, making them easier to search. Stay tuned!

--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS

jubilee
04-24-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm excited about this new feature!! Great suggestion!

sbjf
04-24-2004, 08:51 AM
It's easy to do a search, but a forum just for that would be good, too.

alandenisefields
04-26-2004, 02:04 PM
We thought of that; but our moderators are volunteers and we do think that would require too much time to organize. So a separate area (with a button at the top of the message board page) might be the easist way to do it.

Thanks again,
--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS
--
The readers speak! Check out our new message boards for our books at:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php

--
We have a brand new book for parents! It's called Baby 411---think of it as the ultimate FAQ for new moms and dads! Check it out here: http://www.Baby411.com

proggoddess
04-29-2004, 05:04 PM
I am a moderator for a beauty-related EZboard and we have separate discussion forums for product reviews. Each topic is one product review and people can reply to that topic with their own review. It's worked out pretty well. The reviews also have a formalized structure so each one is laid out similarly. It's also intended to minimize the "me too!" type of unhelpful review. For example, the structure is like this:

Product Name
Manufacturer
Rating (1-5)
Recommend to others?
Price
Comments

Each topic can be "rated" by users (from 1 to 5 stars) so that people who don't want to write a formal review can just "vote" for their favorite products.

Here's the site, so you can see what I am talking about:
http://p207.ezboard.com/btherefuge53914