PDA

View Full Version : Another Lounge?

papal
04-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Sometimes I feel bad for posting in the Lounge about such totally non-baby topics like The Bachelor and American Idol and Dyson vacuums and other such stuff. This sometimes pushes important baby questions that people pose off the front page. Do you think it would be a good idea to have the Lounge for Baby topics and a LockerRoom for everything else?

vikivoly
04-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I think that would be a good idea. I know there have been times I wanted to post a baby related topic that didn't fit any where else, but I felt like I would be wasting my time posting in the lounge.

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-22-2004, 09:52 AM
See I don't look at the lounge as being just for baby stuff...maybe I am alone there, but I really do look at it as what they describe "kick back and...."(whatever the wording)....

I have never thought "OT" for Off Topic needs to be said there, I think nothing is really off topic there...

I wouldn't put up a struggle in the least if another lounge was added, but have to say I sure do love it the way it is now....
Maybe if we all just come to terms that it is a "catch all" place.
Our community has grown so much, and so many of us find our niche here that it seems just common place to have a lounge where our friendships have blossomed to other discussions...
Just my two cents ...
But not slamming your idea just offering a view :)
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal
04-22-2004, 10:09 AM
I agree with you Neve, that the Lounge should remain the Lounge...maybe we should have a seperate Experts corner for all questions that need a little more time to 'live' before they are 'buried'? A catchall place for those important questions that don't fit into any of the other forums. Ofcourse, if the Experts corner does not get as much traffic, it may defeat the purpose. But certain things like Genetic Counselling (sp?) etc are such important discussions that I feel bad that they don't get a long life on the first page of the Lounge. And sometimes people may not be comfortable with 'bumping' their topics up.

What does everyone else think?

hellokitty1
04-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Rahsmi-

I know where you're coming from and I agree. I don't think anything is ever "inappropriate" for the Lounge if it doesn't fit in the other forums so I've never had a problem with a Bachelor postand a Teething post in the Lounge. But, I don't get to look at the boards on a daily basis and there's so much stuff going on in the lounge that I feel like I miss a ton if I don't visit for a day. It'd be nice if there was a baby-related lounge and then just a non-baby lounge. That way, when I just wanna surf, I can surf non-baby but if it's a baby topic, I can go to the Baby Lounge.

McQ
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Yes the Lounge gets a lot of varied topics but that's what I love about it. And I don't check in over the weekends so I always make sure to go back a few pages to catch up. So if we split it up, I'd pretty much be doing the same thing but having to check both forums.

I guess what would concern me (but this is just a selfish me comment) that if it was split, I might miss something. I know I'm terrible about hitting the bios & arrivals forum so I'm delighted when I see that in the Lounge. Yes, I'm lazy.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Me too Allison...
I never notice bios or arrivals anymore, I might glimse at that forum every month. Like I said I wouldn't be upset over any changes but I do like everything in the lounge. I guess "expert" advice as listed above seems to be caught there, for example the gentetic counseling thread had a good 8 responses which I think is great!!!!
If one is truely looking for true "expert advice" and it is not caught there in the lounge I'd feel safe to say that a good thousand of us might not hold that "expertise" for that topic and the internet as a whole might need to be where the question is answered....

As we've added forums over the past two years I find less and less that I visit...
The lounge has been a great way to stay intouch with folks and i've liked it as a catch all...
Just my 2 cents...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

calebsmama03
04-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Ditto. I end up skipping several forums just due to time constraints, so another addition would be hard to keep up on. I think most people would (or maybe should is a better word?) feel OK bumping their topics up.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Rachels
04-22-2004, 09:56 PM
I agree with you guys-- I like the Lounge the way it is. But I do think people should feel free to bump or repost if they want / need more input.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

alandenisefields
04-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi folks. Thanks for that feedback; we agree. Let's just leave the LOUNGE the way it is, as it seems to be functioning well as a catch all!

--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE
Web: www.windsorpeak.com.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

--
We have a brand new book for parents! It's called Baby 411---think of it as the ultimate FAQ for new moms and dads! Check it out here: http://www.Baby411.com

Melanie
04-23-2004, 11:35 PM
...same here...I never see the bios and arrivals now.

jamsmu
04-24-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm agreeing with everyone else. I love the lounge as a place where I can "hang out" and chat about anything thats on our minds.

Thanks to the Fields for providing such a great "family room."

alandenisefields
05-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi there. Well, we agree--we'll just keep the LOUNGE the way it is; it is for all those other topics that don't fit well there. The way it is now seems fine!

Alan & Denise