PDA

View Full Version : an online version of the BBB books?

pixelprincess
07-10-2004, 04:21 AM
...besides the wonderful books in print.

I am curious to know if you have considered something like it? I like to let my fingers do the walking and think it would be neat to have your books online. something like Consumer Reports. I find it easier to have an online subscription for Consumer Reports as opposed to a mag. subscription. The search function on the site makes it so much easier to find the info you need. Perhaps folks could preview it for a few days before paying the subscription fee.

course, being an interface designer...i think, breathe web!!! thanks for your wonderful books and the great BB.

edited for typos!

alandenisefields
07-28-2004, 10:58 PM
We hear you! We've thought about that; but it would require us to change our business model (that is, we basically publish books. The web thing is just a sideline!). We'd have to manage those subscrptions, have a staff to keep the online content current, etc.

We also worry about being Napstered out of business---folks copying the content to all of their friends and relatives, thanks to the easy copy/paste part of the 'net! All book publishers struggle with this issue, of course.

At this point, we haven't had an overwhelming number of requests to have an online version of our book. So, it is on the back burner for now. But we are always willing to listen to what folks want!

alan & denise
authors

nupe
07-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Dear Authors:

Your book has been extremely helpful to me. Have you considered publishing your book in a CD ROM format? Or as a book with optrional companion CD? My issue is travel--I don't have space/weight to allocate to books with all the baby gear I have to transport. Have you had other such requests?

Thanks,

tippy
07-31-2004, 11:49 PM
I think it's a great idea. I doubt it would put your books "out of business" as there will always be people who would rather read a book than use the net. Also, you have so much valuble info that would be an awful lot of cutting and pasting! Consumers does it and they still sell pleanty of magazine subscriptions! JM2Cents.