PDA

View Full Version : Signature advertising

Melanie
07-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Is this allowed? I thought it wasn't but I'm seeing lots of people with their businesses advertised in their signatures now.

Thanks

kelly ann
07-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Melanie-

I just noticed this today on another member's signature. I really didn't think this was allowed either. Are there guidelines posted anywhere?

JElaineB
07-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Here is a recent thread where Denise & Alan say business vendors are allowed to post, but the fact that they are a vendor must be disclosed in their signature line. Not sure if having a web link etc. beyond that is ok, so maybe Denise & Alan will clarify.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=36&topic_id=971&mesg_id=971&listing_type=search

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-16-2004, 11:45 AM
I feel like it actually avoids any conflicts of interest in that when they give advice on products etc... you know who they are. To not have them means that we would have folks here with a possible agenda and we wouldn't know it.

I am also one who likes to know what is out there, and am very pro our mommies in the community, if they have a great product and can make a buck or two while being a participant here and not only talk about their product to sell it I think it is great.
I think actually ID'ing oneself keeps venodrs honest and lays it out there.

I'm the first to not like the folks who hide thier affiliation and write long winded posts praising their product and it takes several to realize their intent.

I've yet to see any of them take advantage of the community if their company name is out there for all to see.

Just my opinion.
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

kelly ann
07-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Neve-

I agree with you and it seems natural for some to identify themselves in the signature line (for example, Kim of Whimsical Wears diaper bags). However, I think what stood out to me recently was that the website advertised didn't have anything to do with baby products. I probably would have never even noticed if it was baby related.

Melanie
07-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I don't disagree, I was just under the impression it was not allowed. I wish I had known when I was selling stuff! =)

alandenisefields
07-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Okay, here are the rules on signature lines!

Vendors are allowed to post to these forums---but only to answer questions about their products or contribute to a discussion, etc. We don't allow spam, pitches or blatant ads.

We ask that vendors identify themselves with a simple sig line like:

Jane Doe
Owner, Idaho's Best Diaper Bags

That is fine. What is NOT OK? We do NOT allow additional ads in the sig line like "Check out big sale now at xyz.com" or "See my Ebay Auctions at: www.com". We figure folks can google a vendor to find their web site; or ask another reader for their contact info!

The goal is to maintain a commercial free environ on the boards; but still let vendors chime in when approrpriate. Other boards completely ban vendors. We think that is a bit overboard.

Does that help?

Alan & Denise
authors, BABY BARGAINS

stillplayswithbarbies
07-28-2004, 11:24 PM
That doesn't answer the question.

The question is, can Jane Doe have a link to her website in that sig.

Jane Doe
Owner, Idaho's Best Diaper Bags
http://www.etc

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03