PDA

View Full Version : Pinned threads in Bargains Lounge--pls reduce their size

justlearning
07-31-2004, 12:46 AM
My complaint is that I get tired lately of reading what's newly been written in the Bargains Lounge due to the lengthy threads that are pinned to the top.

Could there be a new strategy that would accomplish the same purpose of having important information on the top for all to see but do away with the need to scroll through all of that to find new posts?

Here's my recommendation: Only pin the first post in those threads, not any of their responses. So, for example, the birthday thread would only have the one post that actually lists the birthdays pinned to the top, not everyone's responses of saying "thanks for doing this," "happy birthday to so and so," etc. The same would then be true for the other pinned threads as well.

This may have already been recommended before but if I'm the first to make this suggestion, my guess is that I would not be the only person in favor of this new approach.

It is just my suggestion... I am very grateful for these wonderful boards that you host for us all free of advertising and the way that they are so user-friendly. Kudos to you!! :)

luvbeinmama
07-31-2004, 01:31 AM
I know there are a lot, but it may help if you select "collapse topics" at the top of the screen. Then you will just see the thread header and not all the links to the responses. KWIM? Of course, I am assuming you don't already have that selected, LOL! I assume that because I have to hit the "collapse topics" every time I delete my cookies, so I think it's the (annoying) default.

justlearning
07-31-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks for this suggestion. I had not used "collapse topics" before and just tried it out. It doesn't accomplish what I'm suggesting, though, because I actually would like to be able to collapse the pinned topics but not the other ones. That is, many of the pinned topics (like the birthday list) usually don't have new messages added onto the thread. (That's one reason why they're pinned to the top; if new messages were always being added, they wouldn't need to be pinned because they'd be naturally bumped to the top.)

On the other hand, the new threads usually do have new posts in them and I like to be able to click on the lounge forum and immediately see which posts in the threads are new. If I use "collapse topics" (at least how I'm doing it--correct me if I'm wrong), I don't see the new posts in the other threads unless I click on that thread.

Thus, I still think that my recommendation may be a welcomed change to the Bargain Lounge (or maybe not--perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this way :) ).

khakismom
07-31-2004, 01:53 AM
>Thus, I still think that my recommendation may be a welcomed
>change to the Bargain Lounge (or maybe not--perhaps I'm the
>only one who thinks this way :) ).

No, I agree with you. I have to scroll almost halfway down the page to start reading the new messages, where the unpinned ones stop.

Momof3Labs
07-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Okay, I just did a little clean-up on the pinned threads. Please let me know if this does not help!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-31-2004, 09:54 AM
When the first page is pinned topics that have been the same pinned topics for months it is not as enjoyable to bounce over to the lounge. I have no desire to read my threads in anyother way than I have them set up either...maybe a creature of habit but I have tried other ways and I don't enjoy the reading or participating as much if they are that way...

Thank you Lori, I've yet to head over there to see what you've done but I thank you for atleast trying, longs threads are great but to be greeted by the same long thread that has been on the boards for a year now (the avatar one) is too much...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
EDD with #2 March 18, 2005
heartbeat and "looking great" so far
Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine

alandenisefields
07-31-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks to the moderators for fixing that issue; we agree---we will try to keep pinned threads to a minimum!

We are thinking of creating a technical issues forum for things like the avatar, etc. Pros: all those issues can go there and be pinned. Cons: Folks have to find it, which will down there in the list of forums. We could solve the latter by just including one pinned thread at the beginning with a reference of the new tech issues forum.

Alan & Denise

luvbeinmama
08-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Ah, I see. The difference is I prefer the collapse topics option. LOL! I guess implementing your suggestion wouldn't affect me one way or the other as long as I can collapse all topics.

deborah_r
08-01-2004, 02:58 AM
As the sort-of-official keeper of the birthday list, might I suggest we move it to the due dates/intros/bios forum and pin it there? Sort of related and much less traffic there and a pinned topic might not be as annoying.

If anyone thinks that's a good idea, I can go ahead and do it...Let me know.

Edit: for spelling

tippy
08-01-2004, 03:33 AM
I do, I do!

hellosmiletoday
08-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Is there a way to reduce the daily forum updates so that you only see when the first initial post is displayed, and not the responses? It takes so long to scroll through the e-mail, and I usually skip some forums.

hellosmiletoday
08-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Is there a way to reduce the daily forum updates so that you only see when the first initial post is displayed, and not the responses? It takes so long to scroll through the e-mail, and I usually skip some forums.