PDA

View Full Version : Separate Feeding Forums for BF & Formula

WooChx
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I wish you would consider separating the feeding forums into two catagories. One for Breast Feeding and one for Formula. I feel like such a heal everytime I have a feeding question because my child is on formula. I had a horrible time breast feeding and an awful time pumping. It seems that 99% of the posts on the feeding forum are about BFing and it would just be nice to have a place to ask other questions.

Thanks.

tinkerbell1217
03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Thats a GREAT idea!!!

egoldber
03-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I disagree. There are many mothers here who both breastfeed and use formula. There are also moms that breastfeed and use bottles. Also, the Feeding Forum has MANY, MANY questions about the introduction of solid foods and issues related to that which are of interest to all parents. I disagree that 99% of the posts are about breastfeeding. If anything, I think most posts are about issues related to solids feeding and food allergies.

I do agree that there are several moms on this board who are breastfeeding advocates and who take a lot of time to thoroughly and thoughtfully answer questions posted about breastfeeding. And I think its sad that sometimes questions from FF moms go unanswered or with few replies. But the solution to that, IMO, is for more FF moms to browse that forum and provide their BTDT experience like the BF moms are doing. But I really don't see how dividing the forum is the answer. Will there be forums for those who use organic baby food and those that don't? Those who make their own baby food and those that don't? Where do you draw the line?

And for whatever its worth, I breastfed my DD and also used formula.

kijip
03-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I understand that as a formula user you feel put off by the strong advocacy that goes on for breast feeding. As a mom who was unable to breastfeed and who used formula and battled breastfeeding woes I really do sympathize with the lack of support and information for formula users. However, there is so much overlap on these issues- pumping, combo feeding, trouble with breast feeding that I really don't see what would be gained by dividing the board. If anything it would make the groups more insular. Someone needs to be around when obnoxious things are said about formula to say "step down" and some one needs to be around when someone is having breastfeeding/combo feed issues to offer both prospectives. I encourage those with bottle feeding/formula stories to be more vocal on the feeding forum to make the forum a bit more balanced. Go ahead and ask the formula questions----I know that I and others will answer them.

swampnurse
03-12-2005, 12:00 AM
As a fellow breastfeeder/formula feeder, i just wanted to show my support for you. it is sad and disgusting the way a few of the "breastfeeding only" advocates treat the women who choose to use formula. There are plenty of us out there who support both, but are tired of being "beaten up" by these few. last tme i checked it was still a choice and formula is still approved by the FDA and is NOT poison! I did both quite successfully and will do it the same way again next time around. Ask those questions, i'll answer them too!

alandenisefields
03-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the debate on this. We agree that it is best for the feeding forum to remain as one---it should handle both forumla and breastfeeding questions. We know folks have strong opinions about both subjects, but dividing the issue into 2 separate forums doesn't seem like the answer.

We would urge members to respect the choices of each mom when it comes to feeding---if you feel someone crossing the line and disrespecting another member's feeding decision, hit the ALERT button. As moderators, we'll try to encourage more respect!

Alan & Denise

vikivoly
03-15-2005, 01:17 AM
I also feel it would be a mistake to split the forum in two, but I do understand why you feel the way you do. Please realize that not everyone on this board has extreme beliefs on BFing. It bugs me that moms are afraid or hesitant to post because they don't want to "admit" that they are not BFing or feel the need to explain why they are FFing. So please post your FF questions. The more diverse the board appears, the better for everyone!