PDA

View Full Version : What do you wish you'd put in your hospital bag?

chevalier
06-10-2001, 11:25 PM
The 3 things I wish I'd brought: TUMS, a phone card, and a tiny onsie. The sleeper I'd brought to take my baby home in was way too big, and too warm for the car, which was hot. To make phone calls from the hospital, one had to charge it to something. Since we didn't have a working calling card, billing it to our home number ended up being expensive. I'd had very bad acid reflux, but the nurses couldn't give me anything for it because it wasn't in the doctor's orders. They seem surprised I didn't bring my own. Next time, I'll know better!

Stephanie in Sacramento
06-11-2001, 12:35 PM
I referred to a packing list from my birthing classes for my bag but found that I needed little of it...

I really only needed:

1- A change of clothes for departure for me
(my hospital provided weird, temporary mesh underwear that I felt no guilt trashing as they were extremely bloody..and they provided gowns which were also well stained after my use)

Our daughter left the hospital wearing the hospital-issue wrap-around t-shirt and a diaper. I wasn't yet comfortable struggling with her tiny little body to get on a onesie. If you're going with the onesie, make sure it's one that is easy to get on -- snaps all the way down and around, then you can just slide in her/his arms.

2 - Snacks! Not just for dad either! The meals seemed tiny in the hospital and came at odd times (2 p.m. for lunch??) The nurses kindly provided graham crackers and kept me very well hydrated, but I brought granola bars that were actually satisfying. Trail mix and fruit would be good too.

3 - Baby's doctor's phone numbers - My doctors required, prior to our discharge, that my new daughter have an appointment with our family practitioner the very day after we were released.

4 - Camera & film...a photographer too!

5 - Bathroom stuff - shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush etc.

6 - Boppy! Why start nursing with cumbersome pillows in the hospital when you're going to use a Boppy at home? I wish I'd thought of this!

7 - COMFORTABLE SHOES! In case you're walking the halls trying to bring on labor.

8 - Plastic file holder - You get so many birth, immunization and reference documents that you'll want to keep them safe. Having this would prevent mutilation of documents and keep them all together.

9 - Knowledge of mode of future birth control - Something I hadn't even considered but it's listed on my hospital's discharge papers!

Good luck and enjoy!

JakesMom
07-08-2001, 01:06 AM
Bottles and bottles of water and juices. After labor was over and I was allowed to drink & eat, all I wanted to do was drink for days. I was SO incredibly thirsty. I had been forewarned that your lips get all dry, so I had lip balm, but I could not get that teeny water pitcher they give you refilled fast enough. My mom ended up coming the first main day after childbirth with a grocery bag full of bottled water & juices.

Next time, I probably won't bother bringing reading material....<grin>

- Jodi

mkkrum
07-11-2001, 03:37 PM
A belt!! I know it sounds weird, but after nine months of pregnancy, even if I couldn't get back in my "regular" clothes, all I wanted to do was wear a belt again!

Other than that, I suggest a pair of earplugs-on-a-string. This helps the new Mom to catch naps whenever she can--and the string keeps you from losing one in the sheets.

Another plug for the prepaid calling card: at our hospital, we couldn't use cell phones (some interference issue--I don't know) so we had to scramble to come up with another long distance solution.

Mabbster
07-12-2001, 10:08 PM
I wish I had brought peppermint foot lotion ! Having my feet rubbed was the only thing that felt good.

Mabbster

jtemberson
07-25-2001, 10:33 PM
Boppy pillow
Shoes to go home in (I never wanted to see my PG shoes again--my feet had swelled so much that I had to wear awful loafers)
Comb for baby's hair (not on many lists but if you get a baby with a headful of hair you'll need it )

lmintzer
12-29-2001, 08:03 PM
Here are some thoughts and suggestions for moms who deliver via c-section:

I wish I had thought to bring a scrunchie to pull my hair back with and a small stool for getting in and out of the hospital bed (which is VERY painful to do post c-section!). We remembered the video camera and still camera (crucial) and a pair of slippers and a robe for me (good if you want to leave your room feeling covered but aren't up to getting dressed).

KathyO
12-29-2001, 10:33 PM
I know that some of these items are mentioned elsewhere, but I might as well second them:

1. FOOD!! Hospital meals were small, cold and frequently unappealing. I brought trail mix, apples, bananas, oranges, and some super-bran-blueberry muffins I had baked and frozen earlier. (They were also good for easing my post-partum colon back onto the job.)

2. Massage lotion for during and after the birth. My husband did my back and my feet. Couldn't have survived without that. The Body Shop peppermint stuff is a good choice - other more exotic scents may turn your stomach during labour.

3. A pen. Not for writing out cute little birth announcements (such organization is beyond me), but for all the forms and whatnot you have to fill out.

4. A big, soft nursing top (or nightgown). With hospital gowns you have to hike it up to boob height, and hold it in place with your chin. NOT relaxing.

5. Comfortable slippers or slip-on shoes. Rubber soles are best.

Some of these I had. Some of these I will be sure to have NEXT time!!!

Kathy

6. Earplugs (the idea of getting the ones on a string is really good).

suzska
12-30-2001, 12:24 AM
I just wish I had a hospital bag! :-)

My son came 16 days early, and, yes, I know I should have packed it by then, but I thought for sure I would go late. I left the hospital in the clothes that I came in in (I only had them on for about an hour the morning he was born, so they were still "clean")--and I wore my big maternity overalls, so they fit okay afterwards). I did have ChapStik with me, but that's because it's always in my purse.

My DH had to go home and get baby's going home outfit (and I had to tell him where to find everything). What I forgot to tell him was to bring my toothbrush. I used the baby shampoo that the hospital gave me. Oh, and DH had to bring me another pair of socks (the pair I wore in were a "casualty" of the delivery). I wish I had my own slippers for afterwards, too, or extra socks. I didn't feel much like getting out of bed, but my feet were cold. I may be the only person that "liked" the mesh underwear the hospital gives out. I wish I had more to wear once I got home, because at least they felt like they were holding my mis-shaped belly in place (my stretched out hi-cut underwear, that fit under my pg belly, didn't do that and didn't really fit afterwards). Hey, you asked!

I can't think of anything else right now. I "promise" to be better prepared next time! Yeah, right! :-)

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Me
02-16-2002, 11:09 AM
I wished we'd packed a change of clothes for my husband. We had already been at the hospital for 18 hours before my daughter delivered and he had slept some in his clothes, plus developed quite a sweat during the actual delivery.

Melanie
02-27-2002, 09:52 PM
There is SO much I wish I had had! We were a planned birth center delivery and the items for that are much different from a 3-day hospital stay.

Boppy
Nursing Gown/PJs (for after delivery, don't wear before - use their gowns)
Nursing Bra
Underwear
Baggy pants/top (don't even dream on pre-pregnancy clothes, you will just be uncomfortable)
Slippers
Slip-on shoes
Socks
Shampoo
Hairbrush
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Water
Snacks! Snacks! Snacks!
Baby outfit and blanket
Camera, extra batteries, extra film
Change of Clothes for Daddy
Extra Pillows & Blanket (just in case, but I would leave in the car until you are sure)
Manila Envelope for all the stuff/forms you will get

Mommy to Little Jonah born 11-6-2001