PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove baby food (w/ tomato paste) stains from clothes & vinyl?

littlemomma
06-29-2001, 11:16 PM
While feeding my baby some Gerber "Hearty Chicken Dinner" last week, it got all over his collar & the high chair. I wiped down the high chair like I always do & there is an orange permanent stain on the vinyl. His outfit was treated w/ Totally toddler stain remover (it gets all his other food stains out) but the orange stain remains. I looked at the ingredients on the jar & it contains tomato paste. The paste even stained the vinyl bib he was wearing. What can I use to get it out? Especially off the vinyl seat cover on my new highchair?
thanks

JakesMom
07-08-2001, 01:10 AM
How about a paste made with baking soda or Comet & water? Test it on the underside of the seat first to be sure it doesn't remove any of the color on your seat.

We have the white vinyl Peg Perego high chair, so I'm always nervous that food stains won't come out, but the white is actually easy to clean since I don't have to worry about messing up any existing colors. My only suggestion is to wipe down the seat and try after every use (we always put the tray right into the sink and get tomato-type stuff off right away if possible). If Jake's been eating a lot of really messy foods, we will remove the seat cover and really scrub it off every other week or so.

Good luck!

- Jodi

leesarahs
07-31-2001, 03:04 PM
I see that you posted a while ago so you have probably solved your problem but if not, you might want to try soft scrub with bleach on the high chair (you may) try a test spot first.

As for his clothing try using Mother's Helper stain remover. you can find it in you local health food store or baby specialty shop. It does wonders for natural stains such as food, vomit, urine and BMs. I've had good success with it.

DebbieFourKids
12-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Don't know if I can help you get the stain out, but to prevent those kinds of stains in the future, don't use warm or hot water to try to clean up tomato based stains on anything plastic or vinyl. Warmth makes the plastic absorb the color more.