PDA

View Full Version : Babywise?

maura
02-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Looking for opinions on the book babywise?

G
02-04-2002, 01:52 PM
I used it, and it worked great. A friend of mine recommended it. I have a few friends that I met after they had their babies who also used it and recommend it to others. It worked really well for me.

However, there seems to be a lot of controversy. Parentsplace.com has an entire message board devoted to "Ezzo parenting" (Ezzo is the author). I think that you have to take from it what works for you and what makes sense. I just pulled from the book what made sense to me, and my daughter thrived (she's now 2 years old). It isn't a well-written book. It contradicts itself in a number of places, telling the reader to follow strictly the outline but listen to your baby which means you can't follow the outline too strictly. (I have read a number of parenting books that aren't well written, so this isn't out of the ordinary!)

A more recent book on the same subject is called Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. I think that it has many of the same theories, but it is more baby-oriented or baby-friendly. And I think that Ms. Hogg is/was a nurse and has a lot of actual experience with babies. (I haven't read the book, but I have a friend that read both books and this is what she thought. I also saw Ms. Hogg on a show, like Today or something).

Read parenting books for info, but take from them what works for you and don't go against your instinct.

I hope that helps.

atlmom
02-06-2002, 12:12 PM
I will admit from the start that I have not read this book, but I have read many reviews and articles like the one linked below that lead me to believe that this book is bunk.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/1998/08/cov_06feature.html

The Babywise book sold in standard book stores is a de-religioned version of a book written by Mr. Ezzo for his ministry. Little of the information seems to be based upon medical research or published child development studies.

If you are going to follow this book I would also recommend "What's Going on in There?" by Lisa Elliot, which uses a lot of medical research to explain how a child's brain develops from fetus to 5 years old. After reading this book, I would think that many of the Babywise propositions would not make sense.

LeslieCan
02-09-2002, 01:57 PM
I read it and count me in among those who are horrified....

My OB, pediatrician and lactation consultant all don't recommend it. In fact, my lactation consultant's office even distributes a pamphlet that discusses the book ... the pros (few) and the cons (many!)

Just my two cents .... I think the best thing is to check out some of those links that follow the debate. And of course, to read it and see for yourself! :)

Good luck,

~Leslie

P.S. If you are looking for any other "good" parenting books, I have a few great titles I love to recommend. Maybe I should state here that I am a librarian so books (and information) are my passion! LOL Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to reply.

jaydbay
03-26-2002, 04:40 PM
I have used the ideas from Babywise on two children. Both followed the ideas and were sleeping thru the night before 10 weeks. I LOVE the schedule as I can plan to get things done at the appropriate times. It is not forever one. It is Christian based. Is that so bad? I think not. Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them. I did take some and leave some of the info as I think most of us do in reading these types of books. I do recommend to EVERYONE I know. That is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Weissbluth(sp?):-) This is an awesome book and has been of GREAT help with my two children. Couldn't imagine life without it!! Check it out! I buy everyone I know a copy of this for a baby gift.

Elaine
03-27-2002, 12:20 AM
Both Ezzo's "Babywise" and Hogg's "The Baby Whisperer" made me complete basket cases for the first 6 weeks or so after bringing my daughter home. I don't recommend either of them and in retrospect, I believe my daughter would have been better off had I never heard of either. The Baby Whisperer is essentially just a watered-down version of Ezzo's book which is pretty well discredited by most pediatricians and lactation consultants.

My daughter is now a very healthy 4 mo. old and has been sleeping through the night (8pm - 6am) since 8 weeks.

laura_winckler
04-07-2002, 12:50 PM
I don't know about Babywise, but let me second the recommendation for Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Weissbluth. My son has been sleeping wonderfully for both his naps and at night since he was 4-5 months old (19 months old now). Be warned, though, he is quite dictatorial on the idea that you MUST put them down awake and that you MUST put them to bed early. If you won't like that, don't even bother reading his book!

stampmom
04-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Oh, please don't buy this book! The "Ezzo method" of parenting has been linked to many cases of low weight gain, failure to thrive, and dehydration. And one of the central "philosophies" of the method is that children, even newborns, are somehow inherently manipulative -- is that any basis for the relationship you are about to start with your precious baby?

If you are really considering following this method, I hope you will at least do a LOT of research first. I recommend taking a look at http://www.ezzo.info/babywise.htm , and specifically http://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm , which is a reprint of an article published by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) explaining the dangers of the Ezzo method, and the ways that it directly contradicts AAP recommendations. The article also points out some of the many unsubstantiated medical claims in the book.

I could say more, but I don't want to start a flame war. Suffice it to say, if you make the decision to follow the practices outlined in the Babywise book, I hope it will at least be an informed decision.

(I'd also be happy to recommend some other parenting books if you're interested. Feel free to email me privately.)

Dawn
Mommy to Adam 6/98
Jeremy(?) expected 7/02

luvbeinmama
05-09-2002, 06:27 PM
I was given the christian version of this book, and my son thrived on the schedule. But you really have to be VERY CAREFUL and see what how your baby responds. Yes, they seem to contradict themselves in many places. They also wrote the book from their own experiences NOT FROM RESEARCHING THE TOPIC. My sil gave me whole packet of articles about why not to use this book, including the cases of malnutrition, etc. What this told me, was that this method is not for all babies. There are some good principles in there, there are some that are best to ignore. Like anything else, take what works for you and your baby, and ignore the rest. If you feel like it's not working for your baby, drop it and go with something that works! Some people seem to have ignored the admonission throughout the book about feeding your baby when he/she is hungry! Also, they do list healthy growth indicators and unhealthy growth indicators, which seem to have been ignored by some.

My advise... if you do get this book, be very careful and FLEXIBLE about applying any of these principles, and DO NOT continue to use this schedule if your baby is not doing well on it.

tjham
05-18-2002, 10:05 PM
I picked this up at a thrift store and started reading it as I would any other child care book. I was so surprised and put off by it that I threw it away instead of donating it as I usually do. I really didn't want someone else using it's "advice"! Several months later, I, by chance, read the comments at Parentsplace and thought "Ah ha! I wasn't the only one to feel that way!"

toymaker
05-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Our son had trouble sleeping, and we initially looked at Babywise. My wife is a pediatric Nurse Practitioner and pointed out a lot of unsound / unsafe advice. We ended up going with How to Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Ferber, and TouchPoints by Berry and Brazleton. The books by Sears are pretty good as well. Just find one that fits your style of parenting.

John B, dad of Kyle 8/4/00