PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy Pains- skin irratation around the ribcage- any remedies?

kerriflan
03-05-2002, 01:04 PM
I am 8 months pregnant with my first and wondered if anyone has any advice on skin irritation around the rib cage. The area right under my breasts around my ribcage is so irratated- itchy and painful, under the skin and on my skin... it almost feels like sunburn. And wearing a bra has become painful. This seems to be the most bothersome to me now and my doctor hasn't recommended anything to ease the discomfort. I have tried different bras (sizes and styles)... no luck. I've also tried hydrocortisone but that only helps a little.

Anyway, my doctor says it's normal so I'm hoping someone out there has tried something that works. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Kerri

kathyO
03-05-2002, 09:23 PM
I had good luck with the Aveeno Bath and Shower Oil - rub it in while bathing/showering, then pat the area dry afterwards. The more old-fashioned version of this would be a big handful of oatmeal loosely knotted into the toe of an old nylon, and held under the tap while you run a warm (but not hot) bath. Add a handful of baking soda to the bath for good measure.

No guarantees, but it sure can't hurt!

Good luck,

KathyO

mspacman
03-06-2002, 02:45 AM
I was cursed with PUPPPS, a horrible itchy rash that some women get late in their term. I don't know if this is what you have, but the only thing that gave me relief was Icy Hot. It comes in a stick form, like deodorant, and I would rub it all over my belly and legs at night just so I could stop itching long enough to get to sleep. Oatmeal baths, and oatmeal scrubbers like Kathy described, gave me some (very) temporary relief also.

GreenIZ1971
03-06-2002, 01:03 PM
I have had seriously sensitive skin throughout most of my pg.... combo of dry winter weather, being pg, and hard water.

I have started 1) using Cetaphil liquid as body soap (get it at KMart for $3, or WalMart for $4 in generic form) 2) covering my body in oil after my shower, before drying off 3) only take 1 bath/shower per day and keep it short and not really hot 4) put lotion on immediately after getting out of the bath/shower 5) The biggest - get a tube of Lasinoh (or any other 100% lanolin) and rub it in the really dry, rashy parts. Oooooooh I loooooooove Lasinoh !:)!

And if you get rashes on your face (I do, how my body expresses allergies) try Origins black clay mask. Something about it works wonders...

My dr suggested cornstarch on the area that was irritated (my breast...) but it dried it out too much. He thoght it might be heat/moisture related....

Good luck,

trumansmom
03-08-2002, 03:44 PM
I had PUPPPS as well. I used Sarna - a lotion that feels alot like Icy Hot, and it would give me a couple of hours of relief. But you can only use it a couple of times a day or it loses its effectiveness.

Good luck! The itching was one of the hardest parts of my last trimester.

Rachels
03-19-2002, 01:40 PM
The other thing is just to be sure the area under your breasts really gets adequately dried off after you shower. Since they kind of balance on your belly now, it's easy for moisture to get trapped and irritate your skin. I've had an easier time with similar skin irritation since I figured out how much moisture was remaining there after I thought everything was dry.

pshontz
09-08-2002, 11:30 AM
I had this problem for a few days and started using cornstarch baby powder under my breasts after a shower. It's cleared up the problem -- I'm large on top and with the large tummy (not to mention being pregnant in Houston in the summer) I just sweat like crazy all the time, but the cornstarch and a cotton bra seem to help. I don't know, though, whether this will be a problem when breastfeeding after baby's born ... Priscilla