PDA

View Full Version : The Nanny Diaries

nywifey
03-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Anyone reading this? It's the hottest thing here in NYC right now. It's a novel by two young women who used to be nannies while attending college. One of them worked for reporter and author of The Preppy Handbook, Lisa Birnbach. The NYTimes wrote an article that they believe the character in the book, Mrs. X, is based on Mrs. Birnbach. You can see the interview the authors did today (3/14) with Katie on the Today show at www.today.msnbc.com and read an excerpt from the book.

Living in NYC, you can really enjoy the humor in this book. I haven't read it yet, but did printout the excerpt. I live not too far from the area they describe in the book. I'm eager to read what they have to say about the nanny issue in the area.

APG
03-14-2002, 11:38 PM
I live in New York and I have a nanny. Your message was one of the rudest and most presumptuous things I have ever read. Do you know my circumstances or the circumstances of the other mothers and fathers whose children are cared for by a nanny? I can assure you that my child is neither a status symbol nor a piece of property. Rather she is a well taken care of and much loved child who never wants for love, affection, and attention, from both her parents and her nanny. And I can asuure you that she will not grow up to be judgmental---i hope that you can say the same.

suzska
03-15-2002, 12:56 AM
WOW! I don't know where that came from, because I certainly didn't get that from her message?!? All she was doing was pointing out a NOVEL that was talked about on the Today Show by Katie and its authors.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

jojo2324
03-15-2002, 10:22 AM
In nywifey's defense, there ARE a lot of people in NYC with nannies. I live in East Hampton, NY and have seen many parent/nanny combos here. At times it is heartbreaking. I am not accusing you of being one of those mothers, but I don't see how you can say they don't exist. The Hamptons are exorbitant on all levels, and unfortunately children at times are victim to that. I worked in a children's clothing store where mothers would walk in and not hold the door for the woman who was pushing her child. I've had to help women who would refer to their nannies when asked how much their children weighed or what size clothing they were wearing. These were not uncommon events. I have nannied; I was a lucky one, but I can guarantee that I would never want to do it again. Ever. I have friends who have horror stories of their nannying days; one worked for a couple whose time with the children was basically car ride to East Hampton. She was to be there waiting for them when they arrived. And she would stay the whole weekend. I now work in a restaurant, and many times it seems that the parents dining there with their nannies have no interest in their children. I know these are broad statements, but it is not out of the ordinary; every night I can almost count on some kid running through the dining room screaming while his parents are engaged in something else. The nanny is there; she should handle it.
I know that there are women out there who require the help. I have watched the children of women who are very successful in their careers and split their time. And they make the time; some parents just don't seem to. I would love a little help, once my baby is born. I am actually quite offended by the fact that, while reading several of my dozens of baby books, I have encountered many who encourage hiring help for those first few weeks. I can't afford it! I have to go it alone while my husband works one of his three jobs. And for some reason I feel guilty about that.
Okay, not to fuel the fire, but I felt I needed to add my two cents. Obviously there are women who need the help, but there are many who don't, and their treatment of their children and their nannies is sometimes really sad.

APG
03-15-2002, 11:39 AM
nywifey, obviously realizing that she said sometihing that was very rude, edited her message after I replied. The message, as edited, is not offensive in any way. In the future, she sould try to be more sensitive before she posts

nywifey
03-15-2002, 06:10 PM
I feel the same way JOJO feels about the subject. It breaks my heart to see children ignored by their parents or even worse, ignored by their nanny. I see it alot in my area and Im not used to this. I was raised on long island where a nanny is not the norm. I completely understand when you have to work or choose to work due to your career. But as the books states, there are 3 Types of moms. 1) Moms that work full time and has childcare 2) Moms that stay home but need their time here and there so hire childcare periodically and 3) Moms that do not work and do not take care of their children but hire childcare - those are the moms described in the book and those mothers do exist!

Im sorry you got offended by the way I worded this earlier, but those people do exist and Im not saying everyone who has a nanny is that type of a parent. We obviously know your a caring parent or you would not be on this board. The Type 3 moms would never be interested in such a waste of time nor would they ruin their manicures typing on a keyboard.