PDA

View Full Version : Back of Baby's Head Is Flat. On One Side...........Helmet or No Helmet

rose71
04-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Hello. Since 3 months old, my son has had a flat head. He prefers to sleep on one side. He had colic when he was about 3 weeks, so when he FINALLY went to sleep we didn't bother him. Until now he prefers to sleep on his right side.

Now he is 6 months and the Dr has suggested that he use a helmet to neutralize the shape of his head due to a condition called Plagiocephly. They said it is common in some babies since Dr's have recommended that the baby sleep on their backs due to SIDS safety.

Has anyone had their children on a helmet? How did there child function in it? Did they like it? Any parents notice the shape change as there child got older withough using a helmet? Any help would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rose

egoldber
04-02-2002, 10:27 PM
I believe that this is quite common. I don't have any data on this, but there must be an internet bulletin board somewhere with information and support on this topic. A neighbor of ours has a baby that had to wear a helmet for some months, but is now fine.

I would seriously consider your pediatrician's recommendation. My understanding is that the the development of the brain in the area that is "flatter" can be negatively impacted.

HTH,

sntm
04-22-2002, 03:37 PM
I am a surgery resident, not a pediatrician, but I don't think there is any brain damage as a result of flattening on one side. It is mainly an aesthetic issue, and early intervention is preferred as any reconstructive surgery later on to reshape the skull is pretty involved.

The helmets work very well, as does minimizing the time the baby is spent lying down (great encouragement for grandmas that want to hold him all day!)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

rachelfran
04-22-2002, 06:02 PM
there is a woman on one of my parenting boards whose baby wore a helmet and in just three weeks there was a remarkable change in his head shape... he's had to wear it for six months and as far as I know, he was fine with it and adapted really well... it's great that it is done so young when the baby really isn't even aware of what is going on - I think the worst part was the fitting for it - but once that was done, it was smooth sailing.

good luck

Alanna
04-24-2002, 03:46 PM
To answer your questions regarding Plagiocephaly you should think about having a cranial orthosis made for your DS.

First of all, this intervention techinque offers a safe and non-surgical approach to restoring head shape to normal after late gestational or prenatal deformation molding has occurred.

Two major reasons to treat plagiocephaly and restore the head to normal shape. First, many parents worry that and abnormal head shape may be psychological hinderance to their chil and may interfere with the development of positive self-esteem. And second, there is an acceptance that children, as well as adults, do need protective helmets for a number of activities such as bicycling. And a head that is misshapen may not appropriately fit into a helmet and, therefore, may not be able to be properly protected which increases the risk for brain injury.

My DD ( dear daughter) is getting a helmet next month for these reasons. And no, plagiocephaly does not cause the "development of the brain in the area that is "flatter" can be negatively impacted". The person who wrote that needs to get the facts straight!

I suggest that you contact your nearest CHILDRENS HOSPITAL and speak to someone in the Carinofacial Center or Clinic. They will be able assess your sons condition better than your Doctor.

If I can help you furter please email me.

Alanna

egoldber
04-24-2002, 06:24 PM
I was the one who wrote that, and if it is incorrect, then I am most sincerely sorry. I was merely relaying what had been told to my friend by her pediatrician. If that was not correct information, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me, since she has since changed pediatricians (for many reasons).