PDA

View Full Version : babies and the beach

jojo2324
04-03-2002, 06:13 PM
I am due with my first late June/early July...I live in a beach community and some days it is so hot that all your energy is zapped just getting to the ocean. My dear husband and I are moving (just before EDD!), and AC is not coming with the new house :( It's not a priority either, what with the baby and needing new furniture, etc. I don't know how energetic I'll be in the first few weeks after delivery, and I'm not that comfortable bringing the baby to the beach so soon anyway, considering sand, sunburn, and baby's inability to monitor body heat. How soon can I go to the beach with my bambino without fear? Not that I wouldn't anyway...it is my first :) Thanks!

stampmom
04-18-2002, 02:58 PM
You may want to ask your pediatrician if there's a specific age that he/she recommends as the "minimum beach age." From my own experience, my first child was a June baby, and I went on a beach vacation with my family when he was about 5 or 6 weeks old. He (and I) spent most of the time inside the (air-conditioned) beach house, but we did go out onto the beach for short periods of time. Just be sure you have a good umbrella, or even better, one of those beach "tents" -- remember, you aren't supposed to use sunscreen before 6 months old! Also, be sure to monitor his/her temperature, and maybe try to keep him/her cool with occasional wipes with a cool washcloth. And of course, you'll want to be very careful about dehydration.

Come to think of it, most of this advice will go for whether you are out on the beach OR inside, since you won't have AC. But the main additional thing is to just be very careful about sun exposure!

HTH!

Dawn
Mommy to Adam 6/98
Jeremy(?) expected 7/02 (summer baby #2!)