PDA

View Full Version : Presents for shower hostess

didi_giana
04-15-2002, 05:31 PM
I have 6 friends who are throwing a shower for me.

What do you think are good hostess gifts? I'm thinking about giving them the same gift in different color/style (maybe a nice picture frame) but any creative ideas are welcome.

Many thanks,

suzska
04-15-2002, 09:56 PM
I know this may not be for everyone, but here's what I did. I gave both of my hostesses a different "porcelain quilt miniature." I actually collect them. One of my hostesses quilts. The other admired one of the ones in my collection (which is now around 36 of them, and will stay there since I don't have the money to shop on eBay anymore for the discontinued ones. :-()

Although the place I ordered them from (link below--well, actually it came from the distributor, Stone Ginger Press, in KY) did send the "Nine Patch" instead of the "Amish Nine Patch" one, but that's okay, because the person I gave it to liked it anyway. The other one I gave was the "Heart Quilt." The place below charges a flat $3.95 shipping rate, but some local quilt stores may carry them (or will order them for you). My DH has bought me quite a few from this place as Christmas gifts. I now have all the ones available at this site. :-)

Here's the general description from the website:
"Each 3¼" porcelain quilt comes packaged in a handsome gift box complete with a descriptive history of its pattern. They are gently modeled, and come with a satin ribbon for hanging."

http://gallery.bcentral.com/Gallery/ProductListing.aspx?GID=4440033&Dept=63784

The online pictures don't do them justice. They really are neat--otherwise I wouldn't have started collecting them. If you have any questions about any of them, let me know. They also sell trivets with some of the same patterns (I have two of these).

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

tarheelmom
04-16-2002, 11:00 AM
I've hosted a few showers and had 2 showers hosted for me. The gift that I liked, and consequently gave, was a nice plant. When I needed a hostess gift I went to Lowe's and picked out a cute planter box and a flowering plant. That wouldn't be too expensive (since you have to buy 6) and you could get different types. Good luck!

nigele
04-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Another nice idea is to give your hostesses a box of Godiva chocolates. You can get a decent sized box for about $10. They also sell smaller boxes as party favors for $5.25. Check out www.godiva.com if you don't have a store locally.

I also love Tarheelmom's suggestion of giving a plant - what a great idea!

suzska
04-18-2002, 08:58 PM
That is a good idea. But if given to me, they poor thing would eventually die. I can never remember to water the plants, and so the one my dad gave us when our son was born has withered and died. Now if it were something that could be planted outside, it might have half a chance. ;-)

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Boogiemama
05-15-2002, 04:24 PM
We live in a city where real estate is sky high and we all have smallish houses that a crammed to capacity.

So I am respecting my friends lack of space and giving gift baskets with things they will use up-- extra virgin olive oil, gourmet cooking ingredients and a couple of inexpensive toys for their kids.

While not a fanatic about the simplicity movement, the less is more philosophy is definitely in operation in our smaller space. I envy the wonderful basements people in the midwest enjoy, but would not trade it for the surf and great weather and city benefits we have here. So trinkets are a casualty of the space game, plants and flowers are always nice too.

If your friends have a huge house and can display antique trinkets or collectibles, by all means give them something more personal.