PDA

View Full Version : New Version of "What to Expect..."

hellollama
04-17-2002, 02:05 PM
I was reading my new Newsweek and read a blurb about the new revised version of the book. Appparently the chapter about the "Best Odds Diet" has been ditched. Newsweek refered to the chapter as "Controversial". I refered to it as "stupid". Either way, I'm glad its gone.

jojo2324
04-17-2002, 03:02 PM
Thank goodness! I was in the throes of first pregnancy bliss and went out and bought not only the What to Expect book, but also the What to Eat When You're Expecting. Dumbass!! Not only did I realize I had just consumed about fourteen things (canned soup!) sure to harm my baby irreversably, but I also was soon hating life while beginning my foray into morning sickness. There were so few things I could stomach, and of course, the few things I could tolerate were the biggest no-nos. Talk about guilt. Like I wasn't worried enough and what-if-ing everything at that point. I'm glad it's gone too.

Rachels
04-18-2002, 07:04 AM
I find the What to Expect books to be incredibly fear-based and (often) in contrast with the abundant medical and psychological literature. Look for books by Sheila Kitzinger or Penny Simkin instead-- you'll get infinitely better information with commentary that makes you feel confident rather than afraid.
-Rachel

kerriflan
04-18-2002, 01:15 PM
The best book I found so far was "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy". Not only was it entertaining and easy to read but it had real useful and practical information. I also had "What to Expect..." and the "Everything Pregnancy Book" which were helpful when I wanted to reference something but I loved the "Girlfriends Guide" and actually read it cover to cover. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents!

Kerri

stampmom
04-18-2002, 01:36 PM
I agree with the characterization of the "What to Expect" books as incredibly "fear based." I loved "The Girlfriend's Guide" just for the fun of reading it, and for some very practical advice/info that you really can't find anywhere else. But for a good month-by-month kind of book that gives more detail about "what you should expect," I highly recommend "The Pregnancy Book" by William and Martha Sears. (Actually, I recommend any and all of their books!)

Dawn
Mommy to Adam 6/98
Jeremy(?) expected 7/02

Rachels
04-18-2002, 02:29 PM
I agree about the Sears books. They're wonderful. The Girlfriend's Guide is funny, but again it offers a very limited perspective. I wrote my dissertation about childbirth and was really astonished to learn that much of what is published in books like the Girlfriend's Guide and What to Expect really does either contradict the available literature or just leave things out entirely. It's worth picking up Sears or the Kitzinger or Simkin books (and there are others, too), just to round out the limited information available in the pop-psychology equivalent birthing books.

egoldber
04-18-2002, 02:30 PM
I enjoy the "What to Expect" books myself (except for the part about the Best Odds Diet, very unrealistic). I thought they had a lot of good information in a good format. I, personally, didn't find them to be "fear based" and was somewhat surprised when I started reading pregnancy bulletin boards and heard them described that way. Oh well, to each his/her own. :-) I also greatly enjoyed the Girlfriend Guides and thought it was an invaluable companion to the other month by month guides to give you really gritty hands on advice. I also bought the Sears book after reading glowing reviews of it on the pregnancy bulletin boards, but it never really grabbed me. The 2 I kept going back to again and again were What to Expect and Girlfriend.

I ended up with an unexpected C section (water broke 3 weeks early, no contractions even after 12 hours of Pitocin, baby never dropped, after 24 hours had section). I hadn't packed my bag yet (I know, I know) so we pulled out WTE to pack for the hopsital at 2 am after my water broke! :-) I also had it with me in the hospital and my husband and I referred to it throughout labor, delivery & postpartum hospital stay for info.

My $.02,