PDA

View Full Version : baby shower after the birth

spu
05-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Our family will be throwing our baby shower after the birth since I'm on bedrest and the babies (yes, twins!) could come any time in June or July. Any ideas on ettiquite for invites or wording? They're planning a "friends and family" coed barbeque.

thanks!
susan

GreenIZ1971
05-02-2002, 02:51 PM
Well, I would say most of the "normal" etiquette still applies. I would, however, include a list of where you're registered at (or give a name/phone of who to call about registries), and keep the registry updated, because you'll definitely have some stuff if the shower is after they get here.

And since it's friends and family, and your twins will already be here, I'd definitely make sure everyone knows kids are invited.

As far as wording goes... cover the basic topics, when, where, etc. I'd find an invitation you like, and perhaps embelish it a bit and produce a computer one (you can buy software really cheap) so you can print them at home, and customize them completely.

Sounds great to me, hope you have fun!

suzska
05-02-2002, 11:58 PM
I know most people call these "Meet the Baby" Parties. Or in your case, "Meet the Babies!"

My cousin and aunt threw one for me/my son (my son was due in March 2001 and my cousin got married the December before and no one else offered--my mom hates to throw parties--so by the time anyone thought about it, it was too late to have one before. Good thing, too, since my son was 16 days early). Anyway, it was just CLOSE family, so no invitations went out and they all knew from my mom where I was registered. Which most people ignored anyway, and just bought me whatever they wanted, not what was on my list, even from another store. ;-) Sometimes I wonder, why did I bother?

Anyway....Some people think it's bad form to tell people in the invite where you're registered (because it seems like you're "asking" for gifts), but I don't know. Personally I like to know, so I can get people what they want. I'm famous for buying all the littles things left on peoples' bridal registries. But if the place where you are registered (assuming you are) gives out little cards with the registry info on, I would certainly include one, or make your own.

Other than that, I have no advice on wording or ettiquite. Other than telling people it's a co-ed BBQ for family and friends to meet the babies. ;-)