PDA

View Full Version : Suggetions for traveling with 15 month old

vkmom
05-04-2002, 05:30 PM
I will be traveling with my dd who will be 15 months old at the time. The plane trip is 5 hours. We will be visiting my mother, so she will buy a cheap stroller there and diapers so I don't have to carry them on the plane. Does anyone have any suggestions for plane ride, hotel rooms, car rentals, etc? Thanks.

egoldber
05-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Are you traveling by yourself or with someone else? If you are traveling alone, definitely reconsider not taking a stroller with you to the airport. If you have a seat for your child (and I really hope you do with a 15 month old and a 5 hour flight), without a stroller it can be quite difficult to get all your stuff to the gate even with 2 people. Remember that the "Smarte Carte" type things you get at the airport CANNOT go through security. You still have to get to your gate after that. Figure that you will probably have your carry-on, baby's carry-on/diaper bag, and a car seat as well as, of course, your child. Without a stroller, you can get all that to the gate, but no one will have any fun. We fly a lot and I wouldn't consider not taking a stroller to the airport.

With flying, I think the biggest thing is to be prepared. Assume that things will go wrong and pack your carry-on accordingly. A flight being delayed 2 hours or sitting on the runway in the plane for 2 hours before they let you take off (just happened to a friend of mine) is only a problem if you haven't planned for it. Have lots of food (for you and your little one), toys and other distractions and creature comforts with you and only pull them out when necessary.

HTH,

rachelfran
05-05-2002, 08:00 AM
don't forget a change of clothes - in case of an accident and a plastic bag to put the ruined (possibly quite smelly) clothes in -
*Remember - by bringing your car seat, youll also be able to use in in your rental car - it also pays to have a bag for your car seat - this way, if you can't use it (if you haven't bought a seat for the baby), you can check it at the gate and it will remain clean, in the bag.

HTH

vkmom
05-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the tips! If I bring my stroller, would the airlines find a place for it? It's rather big. Where do I get a bag for the car seat? Why wouldn't I use the car seat? Thanks.

egoldber
05-07-2002, 08:23 AM
You can gate check your stroller. Take the stroller to the gate. Then go to the agent at the gate and tell them you need a tag for your stroller. When they start boarding, you can wheel the stroller right down the jetway. There is usually a sign that says "leave checked bags here" or you can ask a flight attendant where to leave the stroller. You leave your stroller there, they put it right underneath the plane. When you arrive, you get your stroller again right there on the jetway (NOT at baggage claim) so you have it as soon as you get off the plane.

You can buy a bag at BRU specifically for car seats. This bag has straps so you can carry it on your shoulders. We have never used this. We always put the car seat on the stroller and carry it through the airport that way. (Wore baby in the Bjorn.) The few times we have had to check our carseat (didn't buy a seat and no room on the plane), we have gate checked it with the stroller and it was fine. When you check your bags at the front, ask them for a large bag for your carseat. They have REALLY large plastic bags of quite thick plastic. If we have to gate check the carseat, we use that bag to protect it. If we don't need it, we just throw the bag away at the gate.

The worst part of flying these days is going through security with all your stuff. Your child has to be OUT of the stroller, and they usually make you collapse the stroller and put it through the Xray machine along with all your carry-on. If you are flying along, this is the WORST, since you have to juggle baby (which is why a carrier is a good idea), fold the stroller, and keep track of all your carry-on. You then haul all this stuff up onto the conveyer belt, walk through the machine yourself with the baby, and then get all your stuff back together on the other side. One time they made me take her out of the Bjorn and put that through the Xray machine as well. Soemtimes they get impatient with you if you take awhile, but oh well. Just stay calm and make sure to leave yourself PLENTY of time. This is not the time to get to the airport with the minimum amount of time to spare!

HTH,

suzska
05-07-2002, 06:37 PM
You can also buy the carseat bags at Baby Depot--I think they might be a little cheaper than at BRU. We used one to carry the carseat through the airport and my son was in the stroller. But then we were travelling with my parents and two brothers, so there were plenty of hands to help with carrying stuff.

And as other people have said you would have to check the carseat at the plane if the plane is full and you have not paid for a seat for your child. We paid for a seat for my son because I was not going to hold him in my lap. Most airlines will give you a discounted ticket for children under two. We didn't know this when we bought the tickets, but USAirways refunded the difference once we asked about it (it was still before our trip).

I know I've posted this in other threads, but haven't mentioned it here. You can go to http://www.BabyCenter.com and search on "travelling with baby" or something like that, and they have a page that lists information for the different airlines about discounted fares and what is considered carry-on.

vkmom
05-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the tips!