PDA

View Full Version : paint safety in baby's room

spu
05-29-2002, 12:57 PM
When is the best time to paint (latex) in the babies room? We may have to wait until after the birth since I'm on bedrest and haven't picked a color yet. If we wait, how long should they be out of the room (we're having twins)? If we paint before hand, could the fumes be harmful to the babies in utero?

Any advice would be great!

thanks!
susan

KathyO
05-29-2002, 10:39 PM
As usual, this kind of information is subject to change, but nothing I have read so far indicates that latex paints are a problem, either before or after birth, given that you are doing a one-shot paint job, rather than working with them as part of your daily occupation. Interior latex paints have been formulated to be as non-toxic as possible (water used as a solvent rather than xylene, no mercury, no petroleum products, etc.)

Painting before the baby comes has the advantage of getting it done when you don't have babies to deal with. That's what we did, and I wore a 3M filter mask designed for paint fumes, just as a sop to my generally paranoid state of mind. And we used rollers and brushes rather than a sprayer.

However, if you do it afterwards, I'd pre-arrange somewhere else for them to sleep for a week or so - not for reasons of safety so much as the way that the little nippers are often so sensitive to, and upset by, strong smells. And keep the windows open as much as possible.

Cheers,

KathyO

sntm
05-30-2002, 02:51 PM
They make low-fume latex paints also (we painted recently and I saw them at Duron.) They are the types of paints that hospitals and businesses often use when they can't really close down. I'd still advise wearing a mask, or if you find that claustrophobic, keep all the windows open and leave a large fan on.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever