PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Ss?

jojo2324
06-08-2002, 09:22 AM
Has anyone else heard about this? I saw a snippet of something on GMA last week and just came across a little blurb in Time or Newsweek...Does it actually work and why the need for a book if you can fit it into a magazine article that is 1/16th of a page? Sorry to be so vague, I don't remember the name of the man who thought this up, but I think the Ss are swaddling, shushing, sideways, shaking, and sucking. On GMA they showed it for a little girl who cried non-stop and it seemed to work.

dubbogod
06-08-2002, 04:19 PM
You can check it out at Dr. Harvey Karp at www.thehappiestbaby.com, but if you don't believe in CIO, it won't be for you, as he does advocate a form of CIO. But some of his ideas are very sound.

jojo2324
06-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Sorry, but what is CIO?

egoldber
06-09-2002, 10:49 AM
CIO means "cry it out". Baby sleep books tend to be either pro-CIO or are very anti-CIO. There are extremes in both camps and some books/philosophies are middle of the road (some CIO but not much, and done in as gentle a manner as possible). Personally, I have learned to be leary of "experts" who say the XYZ method always works for every baby. Every baby is different and has their own personality. You need to do what is comfortable for you and you need to discover your own baby's personality. Some babies are "easy" babies that sleep and eat like champs from the get go and some babies are more needy. Most babies are somewhere in between.

Also, it will be months before anything like CIO becomes an issue for you. In the first weeks, if baby is crying, it needs something (wet, cold, hungry, etc.) and needs to be tended to. If baby gets to be 5 - 7 months and is still not sleeping through the night, then you need to start making some choices about how you will begin to deal with night waking from that point on.

HTH,