PDA

View Full Version : hospital bag!!!

jojo2324
06-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Okay, what do I absolutely need??? I have my maxi pads and hemmoroid cream (yeah!), lansinoh and nursing pads, travel size shampoo and soap. That's about it. And what should the baby wear? No pants, right? I'm sure it will be pretty warm here (NY). Is a onesie okay? Egads!! I'm due in about thirteen minutes and have nothing ready! And to top it all off, we thought it would be great fun to move a couple of weeks ago so I don't even know where everything is...I'm calming down, I promise. Please help!! Thanks!

hthompson
06-09-2002, 10:36 AM
I hope you haven't delivered yet! But here's my list of things I brought to the hospital (and yes, I used almost everything!):

-CD player with batteries, plus favorite CD's (it was nice to have
during labor and after all of the visitors left!)
-book and/or magazines
-Camcorder (make sure it's charged!)
-camera, film, flash
-calling card with list of people to call in descending order of
importance (I knew my husband wouldn't call everyone I wanted him
to!)
-hard candies or mints (for dry mouth during labor - beats just having
ice chips)
-blistex (after lots of heavy pushing, you may need it!)
-toothbrush and toothpaste for both you and your husband (you don't
want your coach helping you breathe with bad breath!)
-socks
-something to pull back your hair, if necessary
-makeup (so you will look gorgeous for all of the pictures-it's worth
the effort!)
-robe, slippers and a nursing or button up nightgown (I found it more
comfortable to nurse with something that buttoned up, rather than
a nursing gown, especially in the beginning - there's too much fabric
to get around in the nursing gowns. Also, having your own jammies
will be more comfy (and pretty) than the hospital one.
-nursing bra's
-the Boppy, if you have one - it's far easier to begin nursing with
that, rather than a bunch of pillows!
-Going Home outfits for both of you - whatever you choose for your
baby (the hospital will provide you with a blanket and onsie) - you
may want socks if it's not really hot, and maybe a hat if it's
sunny. Also pick out what you'll wear home too (you'll feel svelte
in your maternity clothes - but more comfy in them than anything
else.) I wore a dress - more comfy than shorts with all of the
bleeding, soreness, etc. Don't forget shoes!
I packed all of the coming home outfits in one bag, which I left at
home for my husband to bring in later.

Hope this helps......enjoy this miraculous time!

Heather
(mom to 11 month old Meg)

egoldber
06-09-2002, 11:17 AM
I really enjoyed having my own pillows from home. Much more comfy than the hospital ones, both during labor and post delivery. Worth every bit of the pain of dragging them to the hospital and from labor/delivery room to recovery room to post-partum room.

Make sure to bring a long distance calling card. If you want to make calls from your room, usually you can't use your cell phone in the hospital, and your DH won't want to have to run outside to use the cell phone or payphone to make all the phone calls.

We also took the "What to Expect Book" (I know a lot of people don't like this book, but we did), but I would recommend whatever your favorite birth book has been. I actually ended up with an unexpected C-section and had several birth interventions, so we were reading through "What to Expect" throughout my labor, C-section and post-partum. I had pretty much ignored all those C-section parts of the book, so needed to catch up fast!! (It also gave DH something to cling to for info and support.) The video camera was also great for the C-section since I didn't get to see the weighing, apgar, etc., but DH was able to get it all on tape so I could see it later. He also video'd me with the baby in recovery for the first time. I love this tape. :)

Make sure coming home outfit for baby is cute (for the pictures) and very easy to put on (for nervous mom&dad). Those are the only requirements. If it's cold, you can always use a blanket.

We had also just moved (across country CA to VA) just before I delivered. We were in our house one week and I delivered (3 weeks early). We were piled in boxes for months. I can assure you that the only things you ABSOLUTELY need are a car seat, a place for baby to sleep, diapers, wipes, onesies and a few receiving blankets. If you're breastfeeding, that's it. If you formula feed, then you need a few bottles too and formula. (But they'll give you some to take home from the hospital too.) That is really ALL you absolutely need. Anything else just makes life easier.

And regardless of how prepared anyone thinks they might be, you will STILL make a million trips to Target, the grocery store, the drugstore and BabiesRUs (or your local equivalents) for all the things you didn't realize you needed or wanted and now do.

Also, if your hospital (or other handly dandy local organization) has a new mom's support group that meets, I REALLY encourage you to go. I thought that idea was really corny pre-birth, but post-birth I found it to be a lifesaver. I have hooked into a group of some of the most fabulous women I have ever met, who all live near me with babies the same age as mine. This is a GOLD MINE of help and resources. Even if you have friends in the area (we had just moved and so I didn't), you will really appreciate a network of first time moms with babies the same age as yours.

Hope all goes well for you and let us know how it all goes!!!

spu
06-09-2002, 12:03 PM
If you're still home, hope this helps. (If not, congratulations!!) Our twins are due any week now. In addition to the things mentioned above (radio, tapes, going home outfit (probably the same thing i wear in), mints, gum, toothbrushes/paste for mom + dad...) here's what else we're taking:

- a note pad (for those going-home instructions, and "how to take care of a newborn" stufff...)

- snacks for dad (beats vending machines...)

- a sweatshirt for dad (and a clean change of clothes for him too) - those hospital rooms can get hot for mom, so the a/c may make dad a bit chilly. Clean socks and undies are nice if he's staying over with you.

- cell phones

- extra diapers, burp rags, a traveling changing pad, wipes, etc. (we're about 1 hr from hospital, so they might need a changing before we get home.)

- a few travel size cosmetic stuff for me: stuff to wash my face, lotion (hospital lotion smells so sterile), my own shower gel, deodorant, chap stick, and possibly a travel size shampoo and conditioner (we're anticipating a c-section, so I'll be there for 4-5 days.)

- lots of socks and undies for me; old socks for delivery (I hear they get messy so they'll probably be tossed) I hear the hospital stretchy disposable undies they give you for right after are great - they hold those huge pads in place and can get changed often.

- slippers! (to save your socks from getting yucky on the floors)

- a small mouthwash (for both mom and dad!)

All in all, I'm taking small stuff to fit into a back-pack. The one thing I remember reading is when it comes time to actually pack up and leave the hospital, be very patient as it can take for ever and we can get really hot. If you're in the hopsital for a few nights, have dad bring home flowers / gifts or anything else you don't need the day before you go home. Then when you and the baby leaves, it will be a little easier.

Good luck + Congrats!
susan

KathyO
06-09-2002, 04:38 PM
FOOD! I was in labour for two days, then delivered at night, when there was nothing around to eat but toast. I could have eaten an entire ox at that point, I was so starving. And then when the food did start coming, the portions were too small for my raging appetite, and it was all low-fiber stuff. Pack trail mix, granola bars, apples, whatever strikes your fancy. I also baked a big batch of super-bran muffins, froze them, and had them brought to me in hospital, to help ease my postpartum colon back into action. I'll send the recipe if you're interested. (Depending on the circumstances of your birth, you may be required to produce a bowel movement before they'll let you go home!!)

And ditto the earlier mention of a nursing top or nursing nightgown. There are few things less relaxing than trying to nurse with a hospital gown hiked up to boob height, and held in place by your chin jammed against your chest. I also recommend getting in two sessions with the lactation consultant, if there is one. One to really get your started properly, and another the next day to refine your technique. It can save a world'o hassle down the road.

Good luck and let us know how it went, as soon as you can face the keyboard again!!

Cheers,

KathyO

suzska
06-09-2002, 06:19 PM
I just wanted to say that the hospitals around here don't provide a blanket and onesie (although we got to keep the little blue/white cap). A friend didn't have anything to take the baby home in and had to ask the hospital if the baby could wear their onesie home if she brought it back--they weren't happy, but they let her.

I went into the hospital with the clothes on my back--nobody thought I was in labor (16 days early), but my water had broken so I wasn't going home without a baby! I had to send DH home afterwards to get the stuff for Evan to get his picture taken in and bring him home in. If you have a special baby blanket, bring that--we got to use ours for the background of his picture (fleecy blue with clouds) and it looked so cute! I forgot to tell him to bring my toothbrush. But I did need new socks because the ones I wore in got "destroyed" in the delivery room. Chapstick was handy, but I always have that in my purse. My camera is always in my purse, too, so we at least had that. Of course I look horrible and fat on the picture, and for once DH took a nice one--figures!

You'll probably survive without all the CD's and stuff. So don't worry too much about forgetting something. DH had to figure out how to install the carseat before he came back to the hospital, so if you haven't already, and you have one with a base, install that now.

I wore my maternity overalls to the hospital (at least I had enough time that morning to get a shower and think about what _I_ was wearing before going to the hospital) because I figured they would be pretty comfy even afterwards. I used the hospital's pads and mesh undies, along with my own underwear, to go home. Some people don't like the mesh underwear, but I thought they were great and they held in my post-partum "gut."

Next time, if there's a next time, I vow to have my bag packed months in advance, but it probably won't be if I know me. Maybe I'll actually have a bag....

luvbeinmama
06-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Ditto on most of the previous entries.

I didn't bring any music and was fine with that. I brought reading material and didn't read any of it. I forgot a robe and had DH bring it for me.

Okay here's my list of stuff to bring (some of the stuff different people bring depend on the hospital and what they provide):

- Phone list (forget the cell phones, leave them at home or in the car, the hospital won't let you use them inside) and a pen!

- Food - I didn't have or need anything for labor, but the 2nd night after I delivered (emergency c-section after 2 hours of pushing) I was sooo starving at midnight and the cafeteria was closed. All the nurses had for me was a choice of cookies, jello, and those vending maching sandwiches that are only good for emergencies. So I choked down the sandwich and had the jello and wished I had some real food!)

- Robe (a must) and slippers (a side note, I used the hospital gowns provided as they were "nursing" gowns and they worked just fine for me) (I also used the mesh undies provided by the hospital and didn't use regular undies until I got home)

- Toiletries - toothpaste/brush, shampoo/conditioner, soap, etc. (they don't provide this stuff). Make-up if you want it.

- Camera / Video Camera - whatever you are comfortable with, I banned both from the birthing room!

- Nursing pillow (in retrospect, this is a GREAT idea! I didn't have it and it sure would have been nice!)

- Going home outfits - for baby, a sleeper is just great. Maternity clothes for you. I just wore my slippers home.

Oh, BEFORE you go, make sure to install the infant seat base in the car, AND BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOSPITAL have DH bring the infant seat to your room and fit the baby in the seat there where you have the luxury of time and air conditioning when you are adjusting the straps to fit. I kept telling DH to bring it up and he just didn't, so there we were, at the car, me in the wheelchair, DH *trying* (but not succeeding very well, as I had read the instructions, but he hadn't) to adjust the straps right there. What a fiasco! The straps were loose and I made him drive extremely slowly and cautiously home! Fortunately, we are only a few miles from the hospital. I could have KILLED him for that!

suzska
06-10-2002, 02:04 PM
I just wanted to mention (I do a lot of that, don't I?) that some hospitals won't let you carry the baby out in the carseat--which I think is stupid. The baby has to be in your arms and you in the wheelchair. And then the nurse just "dumped" us curbside, with us struggling to get this tiny little baby into the carseat, with the wind blowing like crazy! We did manage to get him in--but while the seat was snapped into the base in the car. I, of course, rode the whole way home in the backseat with him--but I couldn't get my seatbelt hooked!

And speaking of loose straps--we went to the closest BRU once (and hour's drive away) when DS was still in his carseat/carrier. DH loosened the straps while we were in the store, because he thought DS would be more comfortable. Well, I was too busy checking out and didn't think to check the straps when we were back in the car. DS rode the whole way home, on the turnpike, with loose straps! I just thank God that we weren't in an accident! I think that's how I ended up with the job of always putting Evan in the carseat.

Sheila
06-11-2002, 09:58 PM
It's funny how hospitals are so different! Ours was the complete opposite of what Sue described. We HAD to put our daughter into the carseat carrier while inside, and a nurse "inspected" how well we put her in there before they would let us leave! Once we got outside, though, the hospital's responsibility ended (this is what the nurse told us) and we were left to snap the carrier into the base on our own w/o anyone making sure we did it right!

They also did not make me get in a wheelchair, which was a real surprise to me, since I thought that was standard practice everywhere.

Sheila

________
Buy iolite vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

zane
06-19-2002, 12:39 AM
Wow, it is interesting to hear all the different responses. I agree with Beth about what's important-i didn't use any music, read (crammed info ) while waiting for dilation, loved that DH videotaped the emergence of baby so i could see later what really happened- i totally missed out the first time around.He did it very discreetly- tight on baby when coming out , not a lot of my stuff showing, thank goodness, and what fun to see afterward. I thought it would be so gross, and would erae it immediately after viewing, but i love it so, you never know.
I couldn't have done it without my pillow from home-make sure you use a different colored case on it so they don't change it in hospital and you can find it easier in your bunch of pillows on the bed. I brought all the things for an overnight getaway, & a blanket, & cute outfit for baby, they provided so much at my hospital, i was lucky to have the choice of theirs or mine. Slippers, and a nice, ltwt robe and some makeup for when you have visitors, coz lots of photos get taken.
HTHzane

luvbeinmama
08-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Just bringing this to the top for 22Tango to read!

jojo2324
08-08-2002, 11:47 AM
Well, I can tell you what I brought that I actually used. Totally overpacked.

PrepH! Wipes and ointment (or Tucks)
Lansinoh ointment
maxi pads (I second Stay-Free)
maternity underwear (lots!)
pillows
pj type clothes to wear after
going home outfit
socks
Boppy (don't use so much now, but it was nice to have in that overly uncomfortable hospital bed)
disposable camera
shampoo/soap/make-up/etc
food/water (lots!)
I didn't bring music or a picture or any sort of focal point object...just stared at a flower on the wallpaper. I brought a robe and didn't wear it...just used a 2nd hospital gown backwards. I brought a breastfeeding book and promptly passed out once I got three words into it. Another note...I don't know if my hospital just needs to be put out of its misery or what, but the pads they provided were so asinine. They didn't have any sort of adhesive lining or even a belt or anything to kind of keep it from "wandering." I finally complained on the last day (figured I had put them through enough with the delivery :) and the nurse said, "Oh, they didn't tell you? [A phrase I heard way too frequently.] Just put a regular pad underneath to keep it in place." While there is no way of knowing ahead of time, I had difficulty with my maternity underwear not fitting. Since I wouldn't have fit into my pre-delivery ones, and I was not willing to go out and spend the money on new pairs that were just going to get ruined anyway, I just dealt with the granny panties for a while.

I brought a whole bunch of baby stuff, like wipes and diapers, diaper cream. Not overly necessary if you live close to home. Besides, I also just took everything the hospital put in his trolley, diapers, etc. Good luck! You've got loads of time! I think somebody had said something about being prepared just means the baby comes later...mine was 4 days late.